clicking sound in front driver side wheel area(1996 2.0 jetta)

Hi, I have a 1996 2.0-liter jetta, and the front driver side wheel seems to be emitting a clicking sound when the drivetrain isn't under accelerating load. In other words, if I coast in neutral, with the clutch in or even in gear with the clutch out, this sound is heard. It doesn't make any noise when I accelerate, and it doesn't change when I turn. The clicking is proportional to wheel speed. The noise is there even if I'm coasting in neutral with the engine off.

Most posts point to the CV joint, the other thing I see is a wheel bearing.. But I haven't seen a single post where the problem appeared if the engine was not under load. Everyone seems to have either intermittent problems, or problems when under acceleration...

does anyone know what might be going on here? thanks for your time, Ben

Reply to
Benoit

Randolph

I kinda agree that it's not CV joints and I'm not sure about wheel bearings either...when my bearings went bad I got a constant "rrrrr..." with wheel speed regardless of load/no load/neutral, etc. Not sure what it is, but that's what I think it isn't :-)

Reply to
Matt B.

No, it doesn't go away when I press the brakes. In any conceivable situation where the car is slowing down, I hear this noise. It only disappears when the axle is loaded under acceleration, or when I'm maintaining speed. what about the differential? I had the transmission changed about

10,000 km ago, but I'm not sure if that includes the diff or not...
Reply to
Benoit

Randolph wrote: : Does it go away when you press ever so gently on the brakes?

My 86 GTI's noise does go away when you tap the brake... just brake pads with too much room to spare?

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Install new hardware and/or bend the ears of the pads some! Check to make sure the slides are straight and smooth too!

dave

Thanks guys, I'll definitely have a look at the brake pad situation. try cheap solutions first!

Ben

Reply to
Benoit