Coolant Flanges

Hey Everyone:

Can the later style plastic coolant flange on the 1.8L Digifant engines be used on an early style that would have had the metal type?

Thanks,

Pete

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

I found it odd myself...but I recieved my Beetle's birth certificate from Germany and it said "VW 1500 GLX"

Go Figure....

- Pete

Reply to
Pete Cressman

I thought the metal ones lasted longer... Is yours bent or rusted or something? Are the sensor fittings the same?

Reply to
Bob Hetzel

I'm buying a 1.8L Digifant engine to rebuild and being that it is from an '88, it will use the metal style flange. I want to use the plastic style because I won't have to change my sensors on the engine.

- Pete

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

AFAICT, the blocks have different part numbers.

If the mounting centres are the same and the coolant passage mates with the plastic flange, then the only other thing to check is that the hoses fit.

The plastic flanges seem to warp, causing problems at the O-ring seal, after about 8 years. Don't bother trying to re-seal with gunk of any sort; it won't work.

Reply to
Bernd Felsche

Yes. The newer plastic (and crappier) part has three sensor holes in it. You can get the plugs from VW for the holes you don't need.

Reply to
Radioactive Man