Didn't come to complain- just checking to see if others had problems too...

So if you don't like a post, move on and keep your nasty comments to yourself, Pete Cressman.

Reply to
Crystal

Sorry, but I think a ton of the problems with your Jetta are related to a lack of maintenance. If you did some research, you would see that the window issue was not a VW problem, but a supplier issue. The defroster light is fixable...it's called buying a new switch, or reading the "Warranty" booklet that came in your vehicle owner's manual (it's that black book in your glovebox....it makes for intresting reading when you open it up....and it even tells you how to (get ready, hold on) maintain your VW so that it is reliable...isn't that grand?) It could have been covered under warranty.

If you are nice to your dealer, and don't pester them too much, you can request an Oil Consumption Test, which will help to nail down the issue with your car burning oil.

Sorry to be harsh, but I listen to these complaints all day long, and usually, they could be fixed if people blew the dust off of their owner's manual, read up on their vehicle and did what VW says to do. Sure there are lemon vehicles out there, but it's amazing what a little maintenance will do to keep your car running.

BTW...Your Jetta is a passenger vehicle, designed to move passengers on the road, typically one that is paved. Off roading is not recommended with your Jetta. Buy a Touareg for off roading.

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Generally this newsgroup is pretty friendly. The oil consumption problem happens in one engine model sometimes. If you fail to keep the oil level up in any engine you run the risk of scoring the cylinders and then your oil consumption gets really bad. Hard to imagine going from bad to really bad but it can happen. As mentioned there is a test to determine if you can get the engine fixed. My TDI does not need oil between 10,000 mile oil changes. The TDI is exception regarding oil consumption. The 2L sometimes is not so good but fixable.

The windows were a pain and there is a bulletin out for authorized repair.

The light problem is solved with a new switch.

Either your dealer service tech advisor was unhelpful or your method of service requests is lack>So if you don't like a post, move on and keep your nasty comments to

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

I disagree with this statement. The supplier may have supplied crap parts, but VW chose that supplier and specified what they needed from them.

Even if it was the supplier who dropped the ball, the car was purchased from VW and not the supplier and VW is where the consumer is going to go (rightly so) for resolution. It's a VW problem.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Faison

It is an issue, but VWs supplier is who cheaped out. When VW designed the A4 platform, it was designed with metal window clips. The supplier chose to go with an alternative material without VW being informed. Once the change was realized, it was too late for Volkswagen to halt production, so the decision was made to see if the clips would be capable of handling the demands placed upon them. As we know, they were not, and subsequently, an extended warranty was issued by Volkswagen.

Reply to
Pete Cressman

That is a weird statement.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Why do you start a new thread on this? Neither of you is looking good here.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

If this is really the case, the owness still falls on VW for not catching it when the first shipment of clips arrives. A quality control failure at best. Still a VW problem. A large number of folks paid out of pocket to have those windows repaired prior to the extended warranty being offered. Sure, they'll get reimbursed if they kept their receipts, but that doesn't remove the hassle factor invovled at all. VW was very slow to (publicly anyway) recognize the problem and offer a solution.

I get what you're saying, but ultimately, if I buy a car from VW, I hold VW responsible for the quality of that car, regardless of where individual components are manufactured. I know that I'm not alone in this.

Think about this: Suppose you purchase a new Toshiba television. Some small part in the set fails and you're forced to pay for repair. A year or so later, you get a letter explaining that some diode or something in the TV was faulty and Toshiba is going to reimburse you for the repair, provided of course, that you kept the receipts. Toshiba will not be reimbursing you for the time w/no TV, or for your hassle involved with getting the set to and from the repair facility. (Or the big superbowl party that was ruined 'cause the TV failed.) In this case, do you hesitate to buy another Toshiba TV in the future, or do you do some research and find out what little part failed and who made it and just avoid them?

You know as well as I do that you'll be buying another brand of TV next time.

Craig

FWIW, we haven't had any trouble with our '02 wagon. It went in for the coil pack recall, but no windows have fallen out yet. The coil recall was a minor inconvenience for me, but it was major for the unfortunate ones who had failures before the issues were completely sorted out.

Reply to
Craig Faison

LOL!

Pete used to work at a VW dealer and so does it make sense now?

Quality control is King besides cash....

Reply to
Peter Parker

Reply to
Rob Guenther

All car makers have problems, such as GM, Ford, Chrysler, etc. When was the last time you heard VW recalling over 2 million cars for something? If you are old enough, remember Ford's Pinto- the whole dam car was unsafe with the fuel tank mounting. The same goes for GM's truck with side mounted fuel tanks. from memory, what did GM and Ford do to correct the issue? Buried the defect so deep in the legal system the issue disappeared. Look more recently with Ford and the Firestone tires... for how many months did Ford say there was no problem!

Reply to
Woodchuck
1) Don't lead with a flaming subject line. If people thought their ride was garbage, they'd probably start a group like rec.autos.my-jetta-stinks. This is the land of fanatical owners.

2) Read/Search the NG a few minutes before posting, the VW window clip issue is extremely well documented. You'll learn more here in 25 minutes of reading than in an hour of argument at the dealership. Read, study, prepare, document, then go to a dealer. You will likely have a very different experience if you appear to have a clue as to what's going on in the world of Vw.

Reply to
Mike

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Then maybe VW should be looking for new sources of parts. Certainly an automaker as big as VWAG should be able to exert some uncomfortable pressure on the companies in question.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Oh, jeez, are you serious? Wow, one would think that Ford of *all* companies would be especially sensitive to safety in rear-end collisions Pinto...

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Um, the subject of your post was "My Jetta GL is GARBAGE", but nooooo, you didn't come to complain...

-- Mike Smith (yeah, *riiiight*)

Reply to
Mike Smith

They Did.

They have more or less put Bremi (1.8T coil pack supplier) out of business.

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Reply to
Rob Guenther