Do modern VWs have conventional thermostats?

Is the cooling system thermostat in my '02 Passat's 1.8T engine a traditional mechanical thermostat, complete with wax and springs and everything, or is everything under control of the engine management computer?

Since we've finally gotten some cold weather, I notice that the engine is slower to warm up than I think could be accounted for by the air temperature, although it does reach normal temperature eventually.

I don't remember it being like this last year, but I don't remember much these days.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Yes, it's behind the alternator.

Reply to