Dodgy start up

Hi Guys I have a MK2 Golf automatic. Lovely vehicle ect ect. BUT! In cold weather with the battery fully charged it likes to kid the driver, first thing in the morning, that the battery is flat. All electrical services function 100% with the exception of the starter motor which grinds over at about 10rpm. I did wonder if it was the automatic gear selecter isolator but have proved to my satisfaction that even with it disabled the started motor grinds over painfully slowly. Any ideas? Best wishes Tony

Reply to
tonyelkins

Check the connections to the battery, the block and the starter. It's likely some or all of them are corroded. Not just the terminals on the battery posts. Check the terminals on the starter as well. Examine the jacket on the leads and if they're showing signs of cracking or corroding inside consider replacing them. It's not uncommon for a car this old to have trouble with these wires.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

HOw cold?

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Good advice from Bill. In addition to the red battery+starter cables, check the ground/earth strap (usually a silver colored braided thing that ties the engine and/or tranny to the body).

I don't know how they do it in the UK, but on this side of the pond you can go to your local auto parts chain store and they'll check the CCA or Cold Cranking Amps of your battery for free. CCA is a good indication of your battery's health.

Reply to
tylernt

Not that cold, about 12 degrees of frost. Thank you for contributing. Tony

Reply to
tonyelkins

Not hat cold? Yeesh, you've got a much high tolerance than most.

That's cold enough to be looking at metal contracting enough to open gaps in corroded connections. A loose battery terminal or other bolt point that's got corrosion accumulated in it would certainly contract in the cold. Allowing more corrosion to develop in the process. Loosen up the cables, clean the connection THOROUGHLY and reattach. You should generally do this anyway every 5 years or so. It's entirely possible your battery is dying as well. But clean the cabling first and replace any that look like they've got corrosion going up into their strands. These wires are cheap from a parts shop so it's not like you'd going to break the bank. Then biggest hassle will be doing it in that 12 degree weather! Brrrrr!

Reply to
Bill Kearney