83 Rabbit Steering Column Repair

The steering column on our 83 Diesel Rabbit started making a loud knocking sound. I noticed that a bearing had slid out of the bottom of the steering column tube, along with some pieces of plastic that I assume were either part of the bearing or a bearing retainer. I could push the bearing back into the tube, but it doesn't look like there is anything to hold it in. It looks like if I disconnected the universal joint at the bottom of the steering column I could slide the old bearing off and a new bearing on, leaving the outer race in the column tube and using it for the new bearing. Anyone know whether this would work, and if so how the new bearing would be retained in the column tube? OR - ouch - will I have to remove the whole steering column/tube assembly to fix this?

Thanks, Howard

Reply to
Howard

Sounds like you got my old Rabbit. It did the same thing. Unfortunately I sold it for parts before I could fix it, so I don't have a surefire solution for you. But the book talks about pressing "the steering column into the column tube and the bearings" with a force of 100-200 pounds. It has a picture, too, which I would post here but either TinyPic or my internet connection is having issues, so I emailed it to you.

I had considered adding some kind of ring to the steering column to keep the bearing up in there. For example you might cut a groove into the column and then snap a circlip onto it. Or you could tack weld a circlip onto the column. Only problem is, if you don't do it right, your steering could seize up at an inopportune moment causing you to lose control of the vehicle. So it's safer to take the thing out and press a new bearing in. Assuming you can get a new bearing, it shouldn't be expensive to get it pressed in -- I had a motor mount pressed at a local machine shop for $5USD... took them all of 30 seconds, so it's not a big deal. Looks like getting the column out of the car could be, though. :(

Reply to
tylernt

Push that bearing back up there and use a hose clamp under it to keep it up there. A temporary fix that might last a very long time! ;-) Quick and easy to do too! lol

Reply to
One out of many daves

A hose clamp or nylon zip tie worries me because they stick up and out. Might snag on the tube and lock up the steering or something. That's why I was talking about circlips -- no protruding pieces to get hung up.

I might be the pedestrian you take out when you lose control of the vehicle, so for my sake, be careful. ;)

Reply to
tylernt

Oh I forgot I use two small hose clamps and put them together to keep two fat portions of the clamps to support the bearing instead of justone. Does this make sense? Have a Happy New Year!!! later, dave One out of many daves

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

What he said.

Reply to