Don't you just Love Pep Boys

These expert technicians are good. We get a 98 Jetta in with a noisy engine only to find out the owner just had the oil change done earlier today 3 miles away. PB said it's a internal problem so take it to the dealer! Sure is internal since PB forgot to refill the oil!

Reply to
Woodchuck

I don't have the words for both the owner of the car or PB.

--TW

Reply to
Tundra Wookie

hmmm PB owes them another engine huh? That is how I bought my 88 Cherokee thanks to experts like these. lol Sorry for the owner though. :-( later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

Wow. Stuff like that probably doesn't happen all that often, but still too often. Greese Monkey, etc. Minimum Wage technicians working on my VW. Ack. Actually I hang my head and admit I took it there once when I first got my car. They couldn't figure out how to get the oil filter off of my VR6 and finally gave up and gave it back to me. I took it to a local private VW shop and asked him if he had any trouble (queue his German accent): "No, vee have real mechanics here."

Reply to
Dino

My VW dealer put the oil drain plug on finger tight and the next morning pretty much all the oil was in my driveway...so Pep Boys does not have a monopoly on this "expert" service.

Everyone makes mistakes.

Reply to
Tony Bad

Would the powertrain warranty even cover the engine if you drive with no oil? I mean, wouldn't they have been driving around with the oil pressure light/buzzer going off?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Z.

That's kinda wanting Sears to warranty your new Plasma TV after it fell out of the back of your Touareg! Sorry to say VW does get stuck paying for things which shouldn't be warranty but I don't think so in this case. Now if PB put oil in the car and told the owner to lie,lie, lie to the dealer and just say "My oil light blinks" or "my engine is noisy" then one could conclude that there may have been a oil pump going bad and the repair then would be warranty. Not that anyone owning a VW would ever run the engine low on oil, or not put oil in after doing their own oil change as we know how one can forget things if stopping for lunch or grabbing another beer.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I am the king of that crap... In the last 2 weeks, I've had 2 trannies that were screwed up due to driver abuse... power shifting the holly piss out of them. But hey, ya want a happy customer and I really don't need the extra money anyway with that new car payment.

Me : So how long did you keep on driving after the warning light for the oil came on?

Young Couple from out of state : About 5 minutes.

Me : Did the engine also start making funny noises?

YCfoos : Yeah, pretty much right after that light came on.

Me : Hmmmmm

Reply to
Pencilneck

I'd hope that the car was brought to the dealer with it still running. If so I guess you probably could just fill it up w/oil right? Sure there probably was some premature wear caused but if it hadn't totally seized it should still be OK (although not as OK if it had been filled with oil properly to begin with)?

Reply to
Matt B.

So far it cost PB oil pump, main & rod bearing, and was advised if the owner has any other problem PB will be buying a NEW engine. The customer left PB and went down the road and had it towed back to PB and PB said it was a dealer issue as they thought initially they didn't forget the oil.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Jesh, almost reminds me of when I went to Cartoys and those f-ing idiots screwed up my Scirocco. After the half-assed install I got nothing but engine noise so I had them take the system out. After all was done my low-beams and rear wiper stopped working. What did they say> "It wasn't anything we did".. Of course not they just mysteriously stopped working after you put a crap system in my car!!

CAR TOYS SUCKS. Especially this one: Northglenn

10545 Melody Dr. Northglenn, CO 80234

Pure bread idiots!

Reply to
PJ4LIFE