diagnose

Hey Woodchuck! Ok, you are correct, I'm getting a spark from all of the coils, and I'm not too sure about fuel being the problem, b/c I disconnected the air intake and tried to start the car by spraying gasoline into the intake manifold. No luck. I don't have the equipment to check compression, and I would be pretty unlucky if that's the problem (that'd be the head, no?). I don't know have to check the timing either. I'm probably going to have to send it to the dealer.... I'm not happy...

-Mike

Reply to
Mike P

Does the engine sound like it's cranking as it use to? Usually if the timing belt goes the engine usually cranks faster since there's no compression. How many miles on the Passat?

Reply to
Woodchuck

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Mike P) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Petrol has to be in quite specific mixtures to ignite, try using somthing like 'easy start' instead.

Reply to
William Munns

What is "easy start"? Is it a spray starting fluid? I would shy away from those and also shy away from WD-40 since it might damage your 02 sensor. A spray container with a little gas in there to spray into the throttle body with the flaps/valves open should be good! DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK AND BE VERY CAREFUL!!!

Check your spark plugs to see if they are wet with fuel. I would check for spark.

compression + fuel + spark = engine starts later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

Well, the engine turning sounds normal (not spinning too easily) and it seems to hae compression. I'm running out of options. It's off to the dealer, I guess. Thanks for the help. I'll post a report later.

-Mike

Reply to
Mike P