Door "sensor"?

For some reason the driver's side door on my car isn't triggering something. The interior lights should go on when I open the door, and I should get a "beeping" sound when the car is running to remind tha the door is open. But my door isn;t triggering the lights or the "beeper" as it should. Is there anything in particualr I should check for? Avoiding a trip to the dealer would be great.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Model and year information might help us.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

What are you working on, 61 bug, 85 Golf, 04 Jetta? Get the idea, can't offer help without more information which is the #1 problem technicians have!

Reply to
Woodchuck

I don't believe this is the case with all the VW models/years.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Works just like the light in your refrigerator. There is a small button that the door pushes on when closed, its probably stuck pushed in. Just look in around the door hinges.

Reply to
Biz

Reply to
Woodchuck

2002 GTi 1.8T. Sorry.
Reply to
Steve Grauman

Ewww. That can be a real PITA instead of a simple switch as "Biz" mentioned.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Nothings simple anymore! You should see the star trek stuff in the Phaeton and Touareg. Every computer(ECU) is on a network databus!

Reply to
Woodchuck

I heard about that. It also has it's own specialized protocol but I forgot what it was called.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Is it CAN-bus? I understand that these busses have become a necessity, but for DIY projects they are a pain. With each signal on its own wire it is easy to tap into what you need. With everything packaged on a bus it gets complex, to say the least.

Reply to
Randolph

So far it's been good in the previous VW's before which started about

2000/2001. The good thing is that all systems are on a hi-bus & low-bus and if one goes down the owner would never know it because the other can handle all the tasks. With the Phaeton & Touareg the CAN bus now has different speeds depending on what system it is. From memory the drivetrain bus operates at 500kb/s whereas the comfort system is about 128kb/s. I just hope Microsoft had nothing to do with the programming or we'll be in trouble.
Reply to
Woodchuck

If you take off the door panel approx 4 inches to the rear of where the door handle would be you will find a cable tightly bound with a tape, this tape is hard to remove so look for a fat bit about 4 inches long, VW seem to call it a diode or a resistor, it costs about £20 and just clips in, I seem to remember they are colour coded, they do have part numbers on them.

John

Reply to
John C