Need info on buying used Passat

I am looking at possibly purchasing a used auto 1999 Passat 1.8 with 115,000 miles. Anything I should be aware of or look for. How long due the turbos last in Passats? How much to have them rebuild/replaced? How dependable is the automatic transmission? Any major maintenance for a model with this kind of mileage?

Thanks in advance.

Past owner of 85 Golf, 85 GTI, 97 Jetta GT

Current owner of 94 Jetta 222000 miles and still going.

Reply to
Brian Gullett

Yes, you need to wonder if the former owner followed regular oil changes. If not engine maybe sludged up internally causing low oil pressure and possible turbo problems. If synthetic oil was used, then there shouldn't be a issue. How long should turbos last, very long with regular oil changes. Cost to rebuild, call you VW dealer and see what a factory exchange costs. And t-belt should be changed every 90,000miles max. auto trans are VERY dependable as I think our shop has replaced very few over the years.

Reply to
Woodchuck