Drive Clean Test

My 93 Golf is coming up for Drive Clean in the next couple of weeks. It has 240k, has been well maintained (for the most part), and runs well. The only thing that it seems to have a problem with is the first 3-5 minutes of running when it is wet out. It seems to sputter when I accelerate for about the first few minutes when I start out in the day, but once it has been running for a few, it runs perfectly.

I am thinking the distrubitor cap, wires, and mabye new plugs will take care of the problem. Any thoughts? Anything else it could be?

Once the brakes get fixed I am going to change the cap and wire set myself. Any cautions for hints? Anyone else had this problem with wet running?

Thanks, Glenn

Reply to
Glenn Morton

Rob Guenther

These cars tend to experience coil failure. If the new wires don't fix the miss then the coil may be defective. You might try spraying a water mist on the coil at night to see if any sparks jump out.

The coil in my 95 Golf wasn't working right and I'm pretty sure it killed the oxygen sensor (sooted it up). Be sure to change the oil before the emissions test. If your car flunks the test then I would suspect the oxygen sensor. The official Bosch generic replacement is a

15736, about $80 from thepartsbin.com and includes a Bosch approved splicing system. The real OEM sensor with factory harness is about $140.
Reply to
William Maslin