Fan motor for 1991 Jetta

I think my fan motor is pouched. I can home today and some (actually quite a bit) coolant overflowed from the reservoir. I looked at the temp gauge and it was high. I then looked at the fan, and it was turning but not as fast. In fact, I could stop it with my hand.

I replenished the fluid and let the engine cool off. I took it out for a spin again. Upon returning to my driveway, I turned the car off and after a couple of minutes the fan kicked in as always. Seemed to spinning faster than before, but still not as fast asI think it should (and yes, I was still able to stop it with my hand, but it took a couple more taps this time).

Just to play it safe, I am driving it easy with the hood ajar and blowing hot air out the outside passenger vents (wiht the windows done of course).

I can only assume that the motor is going on it, unless its something else. Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance.

Reply to
sonodude

I would try replacing the switch in the radiator first. My Jetta did something similar, and it was the temperature switch that had an internal short, which caused the fan to act up. After that, I would try the rad fan relay, and than finally, the rad fan.

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

Could be, but the car should stay at normal temperature anyway if it's moving (not in heavy traffic) and the fan usually shouldn't have to come on. If you're still getting high temps even when moving at a good clip, you could have other cooling problems.

Reply to
Matt B.