2003 1.2 Punto Fan

Hi

Just a quickie...

Just been doing a bit of a service on a friends Punto 8v 1.2 2003.

The car has recently had a replacement engine as the previous unit lost its water and seized up!

Whilst doing the once over i noticed that the fan mounted on the back of the radiator is very stiff to turn by hand for about 7/8s of its revolution.

Putting two and two together i am wondering if the fan is buggered hence the water loss hence the seizing up?

My question is, should the fan turn freely by hand? My Focus fan does, my corsa fan did.....

It looks easy enough to pull to bits to get the motor out and test it with a 12v supply but i thought I'd ask first!

Reply to
Tom Burton

yes, it should spin freely. First check that the fan is not hitting somewhere. If it is the motor that is stiff you may be able to squirt some oil onto the fan bearing from the outside and try that first,the other you may be able to punch or drill a little hole to let lube in, most rad fans are crimped together so are not really user serviceable. Checking the fan works is part of basic servicing.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Cheers MrC, I cant help be a little suprised that the garage who fitted the engine didnt check, given the old engine seemingly boiled dry!

Reply to
Tom Burton

it would be a usual check after fitting an engine for any reason, let alone overheating, let it run till the fan kicks in, let it cool a bit, recheck the coolant level, would be the norm.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Everyone I know who's owned an early model Punto 1.2 has had the headgasket fail in it. Myself included!

Reply to
Mike P