oil pressure low light on during hot idle

91Jetta GL, Wolfsburg Edition, 251,000 miles.

in a previous thread, I got recommendations to replace the oil pump. Mine is already the 36mm gear.

My question is, could it be that the pickup got clogged and not letting enough oil to be sucked in at idle speed? Then I just need to clean the pickup. I noticed as long as I keep the rpm at over 1000, the light no longer blicks.

What is in the pickup? is it a kind of filter as well?

thanks, Ben

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 19:21:22 GMT Bob: Replacing the oil pump is not all that hard. I'd recommend it, and I would recommend using a 36 MM gear pump, as used on the 2.0L engine. You will need the longer bolt for the pump that goes with the 2.0, but it is a direct swap otherwise. If your mech does it, expect $175-$250. I did mine at 150K for the same reason and smooth sailing since (193K).

"Benjamin Zhou" wrote in >news:zoSOa.582$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com: > >> Oh, sorry, I missed one '0'. it's 250,000 miles. >> >Or if you don't want to replace the oil pump or engine (yet) try a heavier >oil, if you have been using a lighter one. I have to use 20w50 in order to >keep this from happening, but otherwise the engine runs fine. Was told by >a parts guy that as the bearings wear, you need to use thicker oil. At >some point, of course, they will need to be replaced, but maybe you don't >want to rebuild the engine.
Reply to
Benjamin Zhou

That problem at that mileage is almost always the pump or the bearings. Yea, you might be lucky and find out it is a blocked screen, but that generally would not be limited to problems when hot, in fact it might offer better hot pressure.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The new bigger pump I got came with the pickup so unless yours has been on a while I doubt the sceen is clogged. What weight oil are you using? You may need to switch to a single weight like 30w. Maybe synthetic as dino thinns out as it getts hot.

Joe R

Reply to
Joe R

Hi Joseph,

is the bearing a separate part I need to purchase separately or part of the pump assembly?

thanks, Ben

Reply to
Benjamin Zhou

Engine bearings.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I have great results with Syntec 5w50. Regular 20w50 could cure your problem too. Mine was doing the exact same thing. You'll burn a little less oil with the 50 than with the 40 or 30. -Dave

reinstalling

Reply to
Dave McLaren

Hi all,

thanks a lot for all the tips. I never carefully looked at the oil viscosity-temperature table; I thought 10w-40 was the one-fit-all grade.

I'll refrain from the dirty job of changing the oil pump for the time-being and try oil with the right viscosity first. will report my result to you then.

many, many thanks, Ben.

Reply to
Benjamin Zhou

I walked into PepBoy last night and found a engine oil thickering fluid - StopSmoke. I poured twice as much as described in the instruction, today, the light no longer goes on. By next change, I'll pour in 20w-50.

thanks for all the feedbacks, Ben

Reply to
Benjamin Zhou