Fixing paint chip

Hi there, I tried fixing a paint chip last year on my golf and i guess i didn't do a very good job. I took and paper, sanded it down, and the put the touch up paint over it. But now it is rusted from underneath...i guess there was moisture under it?

Anyways, I'm going to try it again. What do u guys think about putting on rust inhibitor before the touch up paint?

Reply to
HT

proper naval jelly applications, degreaser, primer & paint usually works for me. Even the use of putty after the primer if needed is OK, but prime afterwards. You can always spray the primer in a plastic cup so you can use a small brush to apply it to the metal of your car. ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I'm no paint expert but I can share how I've been touching up my rust spots, and they have lasted a couple years. When you sand it down make sure you do it until you have a totally flat smooth shiny surface. If there are still pockets of rust or an uneven surface the rust is going to come back.

After that I just scrubbed it down with paper towels to get rid of all dust. Do all of this is dry weather with low humidity. From the auto paint section of Canadian Tire, I picked up a primer. Follow the instructions on the bottle closely to get an even layer of primer and allow it to dry fully before applying the paint. Several layers of both I think.

My mistake was doing this in a rush and not letting the layers dry completely, also the weather wasn't totally dry. But still it lasted a couple years on rather large rust patches.

Reply to
berkes