Front Brake Replacement - 99 Passat - What do I need?

Need to replace the front brakes - pads and rotors on my 99 Passat

1.8T.

I am compiling a list of things I will need -- anything to add? All of the tools I have are moreso for repairs around the house (socket wrench set, screwdrivers, etc):

Parts

*2 rotors *2 pads with wear sensors *Brake bleeder

Tools

*Hydraulic jacke with mounts

Any special tools I need outside of a standard socket wrench set? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brandon

Reply to
Brandon

A C-Clamp to push the piston back into the caliper & something to clamp the flexible hose while you do it - you should open the bleed nipple & allow the excess fluid out through a bleed hose rather than forcing it back through the system & back through the ABS. You can trash the ABS if you don't. When you bleed the brakes after fitting new pads etc put a block of wood under the brake pedal so it won't go right to the floor - otherwise you can pop seals in the master cylinder. Lastly get a spray can of brake cleaner - the new disks will have oil on them & you need to clean it off throroughly. Som anti-squeal grease (or copper grease if you must) to go round the metal edge of the pads where they touch the caliper would be sensible as well. Also remember to grease the caliper pins.

If you havn't changed your brake fluid in the last couple of years then now is a good time to do it - but start at the rears - sequence is RR, RL, FR then FL - and don't forget the clutch - shares the same fluid system.

HTH

I.

I.

Reply to
Iain Miller

Never had a problem by not doing that in 33 years. I don't like to clamp the hoses because it could cause damage to the hose.

Figure 1 quart of brake fluid to do the flush/bleed

7mm allen socket to get the calipers off.
Reply to
Woodchuck

And pad/rotor replacement really doesn't require bleeding anyway does it?

Reply to
Matt B.

Nope!

Reply to
Woodchuck

forcing it

Thanks everyone for the input -- I really appreciate the helpfulness of this board.

Reply to
Brandon

Maybe you are right & I do take your point about clamping the hose. That said I wasn't advocating squashing the thing flat with a C-clamp! There are specific (cheap) tools for the job. Besides that if a hose is that old or brittle that clamping it splits it then it ought to be replaced anyway. As for the issue of forcing fluid back through the ABS - I read about this in a number of different places & it is the procedure according to Haynes. Besides which it isn't difficult to do & can't do any harm to let the old fluid out (so why take the risk?) and it also does away with worrying about overflowing the reservoir for good measure!

I.

Reply to
Iain Miller

No it doesn't - but if you have the wheels off the thing & the fluid hasn't been changed in living memory its as good a time to do it as any.....

I.

Reply to
Iain Miller