Gear Growl 86 Vanagon

My 86 Vanagon has developed a whine, or growl. Related to speed (not engine rpm). Happens under power i.e. makes the noise, but if I back off on accelerator, or put in clutch, noise disappears. Noise sounds faster as I drive faster. Checked oil in transaxle. OK. I thought CV joints went "clunk" when they failed. Could this be problem? Sound is like a gear whine. (Other whine is me, unable to solve problem).

Reply to
Jim Corey

I'd get up to about 45 on a straight road and shift into N/let off gas and coast If it is a trans problem the noise should go away. Probably wheel bearing or cv joint

Reply to
Simplstupd

I am new so I just read our post. Sounds more like the clutch disc i going along with the pilot bearing. I had similiar sounds with my 8 westy. It made the whiney noise at start up,went away after it seeme to warm up,came back while driving and went away when clutch wa depressed. I let it go but eventually it'll get to where it won't go i gear . I went to get gas down the street fom home,it went out at th station. I had to start in gear,get it home and r&r clutch,throw ou bearing,pilot bearing.and had the flywheel reground to make sure it wa still true and in specs. Very easy job,I can say easier than on any o the vw beetles I've done clutch replacements on,and quicker!!And, jus to let you know, the pilot bearing was so wasted that I had to use dremel tool to carefully cut and grind it out of the crank shaft Don't let it get that far. I also ,just for convenience,replaced th main oil seal on the engine and the shaft seal on the tranny an repacked the cv grease too. Might as well drain the trans. fluid sinc it'll be out and refill it while it is out on the ground also. Doin all of this ,I still had it all completed in less than 3 hours. Th flywheel bolts are 8mm allen head.Look it up , I might be wrong on th size,but I do know it was allen heads,bigger than the ones for th cv's. Been almost a year since then,no problems since. Cost aroun

200.00 if you do it yourself

-- Kaveman

Reply to
Kaveman