Pinion Gear Bearings...plain text version

Sorry about the HTML crap...stupid M$ crap...

-------------------------------- Ok, so there I was, driving down the highway, Jack on the rocks in one hand, Jim in the other, when this weird grind/growl/*noise* starts coming from my Jeep....I listen intently (after setting my drinks down, of course) and first impression is driveline....here we go:

Faster vehicle speed = higher pitch Not at all related to RPM more noticeable under load (acceleration), slightly noticeable under deceleration (engine braking) gone when coasting with clutch depressed

I had recently notices oil coming from the rear diff, so I thought I would check that...oil came out the hole so it was fine. Transmission seemed a little warm, but didn't have a 15/16 socket with me, let alone a ratchet, but today I checked and the fluid level is also fine. I have just replaced both the rear diff and tranny fluid today. Noise is slightly less bothersome. Ok, not really. So, I go over to my buds, we toss her in the air and let it idle in 3rd gear on jackstands.....definitely the rear diff. Break out the chopsaw, make me a stethoscope (read: 1/2 inch round solid steel.) So I take a listen, right...*way* worse at the forward end of the diff than the rear, so it must be pinion bearings, right?

So, I could prolly use a complete rebuild anyway, what is it gonna cost me...D35C on a 98 TJ with 69k miles. Or, who has a D44 rear they want to sell me?

Also, though I really don't think so, is this something I want to do myself? Glancing through the axle section in the FSM for my girl's 99 XJ, it looks like a real PITA...not to mention, although I do have Jeep special tool #1 (BFH,) I sure as hell don't have all the other crap mention/pictured in the FSM.

*MY apologies if this appears twice, didn't show up*
Reply to
Joseph P

gone when coasting, sounds like the u joint to me, not bearings. john

Reply to
johnny

This is a common failure on the D35, the pinion bearings are way too small and overheat.

Like every other aspect of this POS axle, the r&p are too small, the entire bearing set is too small, the axle shafts are too small and the housing is a featherweight. Best thing that can be done with a D35 is to remove it from the vehicle and either toss it into a blast furnace, where it can be melted down and made into something useful, like bedpans, or to toss it into a pond, where it might make good carp & crawdad habitiat if the pond critters aren;t insulted in the process. It will look good among old tires, refrigerators, etc.

The Dana 35 axle is among the greatest curses ever perpetrated on the Jeep brand. I hope whatever AMC corporate beancounting dumbass that came up with the idea of fitting this virus of an axle, and then passed it on on Chrysler, is enjoying a great new career flipping burgers. No, that would be an insult to burger-flippers everwhere.

Reply to
Jerry McG