Thump Thump Thump on Buick

I recently developed an annoying problem on my '94 Buick Century. When driving, you can feel a thumping from the ( front ? ) end. Its almost
as if the tires have a flat spot. Could this be the wheel bearings? The CV joints? I've rotated the tires with no changes. Any help would be appriciated! Norm
Wheel bearings are the most common issue here, look for play or noises in wheel of the ground, safely of course.

-

You can try increasing tire pressure in one tire, and lower pressure in the others and do a test drive. Repeat for the rest of the tires and it should tell you where the thump is.
Also, if it's wheel bearings, you can figure out which side. At highway speeds, turn slightly left, then right. The noise should get louder on the side opposite of where you turn.
========The Doctor wrote: I recently developed an annoying problem on my '94 Buick Century. When> driving, you can feel a thumping from the ( front ? ) end. Its almost as if the tires have a flat spot.
Could this be the wheel bearings?
The CV joints?
I've rotated the tires with no changes. Any help would be appriciated! Norm
============any help???
Okay.....
You have led me to believe that the noise is continuous, consistant, and rythmic, with the speed of the vehicle.
Metal to Metal contact tends NOT to thump unless it's being "dampened" by some other "insulating" material, property,attachment, or integrated source.
Wheel Bearings tend to grown,growl,or roar. But..have been known to grind,grate, and seize.
CV Joints tend to clack or clunk. But..have been known to bang, knock, and break.
Tires that have been rotated, can be eliminated when the noise didn't follow. No Buts.
Tie rods have and insulated characteristic. As do balljoint. As do brakecalipers. As do brakepads. As do radius arms. As do controll arms.
The above tie rods and 5 As's........ can, may, could, might, will, and have been known....... to create an audible........"thumping" sound.
sorry....... that's all the help I've got.... considering the facts given, and the questions asked.
I've got a question.......if I may....??
or..... even if I may not.
Have you gone in to git yerself one of dem.......
FREE FRONTEND INSPECTIONS.......
????
That are so popular now'days???
hopefully helpfull..... and.... standing by for the answer to MY question.
~:~ MarshMonster ~sips his crownroyal.....and hopes the reference guide helps the Doc figure out the symptom~ ~:~
============The Doctor wrote in message: I recently developed an annoying problem on my '94 Buick Century. When driving, you can feel a thumping from the ( front ? ) end.
======
Upon further review of your case and it's symptoms, I have discovered a previously overlooked "suspicious" component while re-examining the data.
Of particular interest is this tiny little remark here.......
see it....jest here.....next to the "end".??
yes....that's it......
I must admit that I was a bit remiss.......oops..... that leaves me open to liabiltity........mmmmmmm
mmmmmm.........
as i said.....after further review..and detection of this particular item....
I feel we need to run more tests on the tires in order to confirm the previously "assumed" theory that the tires are not suspect in relation to this symptom.
~:~ MarshMonster ~sips his crownroyal,shines up his golfclubs, and tells his receptionist to bill the patient for his blunder~ ~:~
Marsh, go easy on the holiday "egg nog"..

-
OK, here's a follow-up. Today I swapped the front tires & rims from the Buick to my Olds Cutlass Ciera. The Buick was still making the sound and the Ciera wasn't which leads me to eliminating the tires/rims as suspect. The front end on the Buick seems tight, no play. Nothing looks abnormal from where I was looking and the tires are wearing evenly. Brakes aren't grabbing, either. This is driving me nuts! Norm
Don't take me wrong here but maybe have a tech drive this and tell you whats what.

-

Have you tried swapping the rears? I've heard of odder things.

Hey, Norm. Very often more than one tire can (probably?) have flat spots, and in my experience presents the most common cause of a thump-sound. Feel around circumference of the tire(s)--esp. the inside edge--being careful not to snag your hand should there be wear that allows steel to protrude. Many times, the inner edge is the first to area develop these noisy flatspots. HTH, s
The Doctor wrote:

Stop running over Mini Coopers.