Golf V GTI DSG floor pedals ?

My wife has new 2006 Golf Mk5 GTI DSG.

I have noticed that only the brake and accelerator pedals are in the alloy/rubber facings. The left footrest is merely the dark grey plastic. In the sales brochures, it clearly shows both the GTI and R32 with the alloy/rubber left footrest on the DSG models.

Can anyone else with a DSG GTI check for the alloy/rubber footrest. I'd like to hear from UK, EU and North American owners.

Thanks and regards.

Reply to
Juan King

Can't see it in the brochure myself, but it does have the note on the last page:-

"Some illustrations in this document do not necessarily reflect UK specifications and may not be available. In particular, controls and some items of equipment are positioned differently for the UK. The specifications contained in this document are for information purposes only and are subject to change. If you require any specific feature, you must consult your authorised Volkswagen retailer who is regularly updated with any change in specification. Please check model availability and full specification details with your authorised Volkswagen retailer prior to ordering."

Reply to
Richard Polhill

Well thank-you for that information - but for *your* (and yours only) information, I am, as well as being able to look at pictures, can also read writing - even joined-up writing!

Regarding your quote from the brochure, I repeatedly find that VW dealers are often the *last* to know about any change in specification. They usually only find out about a change when a new car is delivered to them on a transporter. However, the sales brochure *does* form part of the contract of sale, and if something *is* clearly visible in the brochure, but is not going to be supplied to a specific market, then either the brochure or other form of pre-sales contract should positively identify the fact.

Your snippage to my original question has actually deleted the important part of my request - ie: can any actual *owners* give me some feedback.

Sean

Reply to
Juan King

Ah. Is diddums sulking 'cause he didn't get a shiny footrest?

Poor bubba.

Reply to
Richard Polhill

My point was that it DOESN'T clearly show it in the brochures.

Reply to
Richard Polhill

Here's what you do. Go to the dealer, walk into the general manager's office, have a big, screaming, histrionic fit, and then hold your breath until he gives you what you want.

You deserve that pedal, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

Reply to
Brian Running

What does it matter, will get covered in shit anyway!

Reply to
diy-newby

tick

tick (well service manager actually)

tick (not quite as dramatic though - can I have an *B +* for effort though?)

tiiiiiiiick (ah, in slowly, out slowly, repeat till blue clears from face)

Erm - reply from dealer: we'll look into it.

Darn right - eh

Reply to
LeakiestWink

Reply to
none2u

Why is it so important?

In a MkV Golf the 'alloy' is likely to be painted plastic that'll chip and wear away anyway - leaving it looking worse than a plain plastic item looks.

Reply to
SteveH

No, it's not painted plastic, it is actually metal. And of course VW are so proud of it that at night the floor well on both sides is lit up by lamps under the dash. Variable lamps, brightness set on console. I agree that the small print says that things can change, but some things are so much a part of the marketing hype that I think it would be pretty bad to simply leave it out. The metallic alloy & rubber footrest and pedals come into that, from my point of view. Same as the red painted brake calipers and so on.

As it happens, bought a GTI MkV in Germany and, of course, it has the metal & rubber foot rest etc.

Bill

PS - Being a pedantic fart the thing that I would pick up on in your request is the bit about hearing from the "UK, EU, and North America". The first two are the same.

Reply to
Bill Again

The UK is part of the EU, but the specs of the UK cars is different for that of EU cars. VW UK chooses the spec and trim of the uk spec cars.

Reply to
Jon B

What does "EU cars" cover then?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Again

Yes, exactly as Jon B states.

I am aware that German and Dutch Mk5 GTIs *do* have the alloy left footrest, but am not sure if *all* UK GTIs have the alloy footrest or not. It may be that *all* UK GTIs come without the left alloy footrest. If that is the case then the sales brochure, as issued by Volkswagen UK should have clearly stated something like "note: UK models do not have the left footrest finished with the rubber/alloy cover as shown in the illustrations". This is important, as in the main part of the brochure in large print, they state something like "GTI specification: in addition to base model... unique rubber and alloy pedal covers" (I don't have the brochure close to hand ATM).

There may however be a small batch of UK GTIs supplied without the alloy left footrest, for whatever reason.

To list a specific example, my wifes car came some bits missing - for example, the plastic cover plugs for the wiper spindles were missing and the spindle shaft and nut developed unsightly rust marks. I looked round a local dealer, and all Mk5 Golfs on show did have the cover plugs. I asked the supplying dealer why ours were missing, and he told us a whole batch of Golf Vs left the factory without them. We guessed that the factory had probably run out of stock, and simply decided to ship the cars without them. The dealer duly obliged by cleaning the rust marks and fitted a set of spindle cover plugs!

My tag for EU cars was for left hand drive cars sold primarilly in mainland European Union countries, typically Germany, France, Netherlands, Spain, Italy etc, etc, but also covering Republic of Ireland. My tag for UK cars was for those with a steering wheel closest to the front right seat!

I do agree though that legislative requirements for British, Irish, German, French, etc, etc cars are generally identical, and are therefore "EU" tagged.

Regards Sean

Reply to
Juan King

You are clearly misinformed. The brochure does form part of the sales contract. See my response to "Bill Again".

Sean

Reply to
Juan King

Just get out and drive the bloody thing and stop wingeing.

There is a clear disclaimer on the sales brochure explaining that UK specifications may vary from the pictures. What part of that don't you understand?

A foot rest is NOT a pedal.

Just be glad VW seem to have left enough room for a footrest on the left - there's no room in my Mk 3 Golf. In fact there's hardly enough room for my foot on the clutch pedal without touching the tunnel/console moulding.

Wait a bit - this is all a wind-up, isn't it Sean - 'Juan King' indeed.

Reply to
Dave Hall

Oh, I do drive it quite often, and most enjoyable it is too - quite different to my beast of a B6 S4 though :-/

Yebut, as in my other answers, the spec for the GTI clearly states rubber/alloy pedals, with a pic showing the footwell with alloy pedals and footrest.

I accept the generic small print disclaimer stuff about change in specs for continuous improvements blah blah blah, etc., but, and it is a big but (no - not like Lauren Booth from I'm a Celebrity (for UK peeps only):-O), they can't specifically show you something at the time of order, and then take it away when you get the car. To do so, the small print must clearly state something like "UK right hand drive GTIs won't have the alloy footrest because (*delete as appropriate) *we're tight barstewards\*you brits probably won't notice\*there ain't enough room\blah-de-blah" ! ! !

Ohhh - you'll have to leave the size 14 boots at home and drive in your carpet slippers (smoking pipe not obligatory) . Seriously, I'm not familiar with Mk3s, that's not to clever though, but I suppose ergonomics wern't as high then as they are today.

No - it's not a wind up, but one of my old handles (multiple news servers) was a piss take, now changed to something more, shall we say, less offensive to those with a delicate constitution :-)))

Regds Sean

Reply to
LeakiestWink

I think like a lot of the RHD versions, we lose out to the original having been OK for LHD.

Quite a few service items are harder to get at when brake systems, for example, are the other side of the engine bay.

The Mark 2 Polo never got a servo in RHD - but for its modest performance probably never needed it anyway.

Can't say I get too worried about road or track performance these days, as long as there's enough runway left to lift off OK.

Reply to
Dave Hall

Sadly, 'tis quite true for most of the LHD originated European cars. That is one of the redeeming features of Japanese cars, along with the Vauxhall Monaro, in that they were designed from the outset with the steering wheel on the proper side - damned left hookers!

Is that with added RedBull - "it gives you wi..." - oh, i'll get me coat :-/

Reply to
LeakiestWink

Were you born with that pole up your ass, or did you have it surgically implanted?

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith