GPS

OK I have a 2005 Passat and would like to have in dash gps. Anyone have any good ideas? I'd like to not spend a fortune but I also don't want any little electrical gremlins. I know VW wiring is all tied in together. Has anyone successfully accomplished this? Cecil

Reply to
Detailing Dude

With all due respect, the cost of doing what you want will very nearly approach the actual value of the vehicle.

Just get the very best after-market unit you can find and plug it into your power-point as is typical. No gremlins, portability, infinitely easier programmability and updating - and so forth.

Just a thought.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

I know I've battled that in my head, but I really don't like the look. Loose wires, attachment points, etc. I really am a pain in the... when it comes to this stuff. I just think the in dash, clean, OEM look is "better" for me. Not saying I wont end up with a portable, just not my first choice. Thanks Peter

successfully

With all due respect, the cost of doing what you want will very nearly approach the actual value of the vehicle.

Just get the very best after-market unit you can find and plug it into your power-point as is typical. No gremlins, portability, infinitely easier programmability and updating - and so forth.

Just a thought.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Detailing Dude

Even if you don't buy from them, crutchfield.com has a database that gives you a good idea if something will work in your car. It's not fool proof, but it's a good place to start.

FWIW the last two car stereos I've bought, and one a friend bought, we got from them. The inclusion the installation kits has made up for any difference in the unit price. The customer service is better than any local Big Box store. I've talked with someone knowledgeable on the phone sooner than it takes to talk to an idiot in person.

But local independents are worth talking with too. Especially if you're paying cash, they're likely to be willing to deal a bit.

But yeah, I agree that having a unit that's cheaper and easier to update, portable and secure (put it in the trunk away from thieving a- holes) is better than the aesthetics of putting it in the dash. Not to mention when new features come along, it's easier to upgrade.

Look at some of the 'cup holder' mounts or even some of the seat bolt goose neck mounts. Ram-mount.com for their catalog, gpscity.com for pricing. Also techmounts.com. I think there was GPS Pal (as seen on Pitchmen) and some others too.

A bit of spilt loom helps tremendously with cable management. If you don't know what I've referring too, there's some good photos here.

a recommendation for a source, I don't know these guys. They're just the first thing that came up on Google. The stuff is available lots of places - auto parts stores, electronics shops, ad nauseam. Mark

2008 Jetta SEL 1995 Jetta GLS (sold)
Reply to
Mark