Having my 1992 Jetta painted....

I am considering having my car painted. Nothing fancy just something to make it look a bit better. Anyone have any suggestions on where to go and how much it would cost? I am considering a flat black, and the car only has very minor rust. Is Maaco a good choice??

Reply to
AlanH70

Do you really mean flat black? I've had satisfactory work from them, just don't expect too much. Take off all you can, like door handles, grill piece and so forth. Also they don't paint the door jambs unless you pay more and then don't do it well. I know others will disagree but I think you get a decent job for the money. Your just not spending a lot of it though. I just painted my jeep charokee last week and the paint and other stuff was $131 alone. Then 8 hours of getting it ready and another 2 hours masking. You do the math.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

OK: #1 - You do not want to paint it anything *flat*! You want a nice smooth

*shiny* surface that you can keep clean. #2 - You do not want to change colors unless you don't mind spending more money (alot more at most shops) & hate the color it is now. #3 - Maaco *can* be a good place for a cheap paintjob; it depends on your local store. Ask them for references or find folks that have had their car painted there & see what they say. #4 - It *is* a good idea (as Jo Bo said) to do all the dissasembly you can, as that will save you money & you'll get a better job. #5 - Shop around & ask everyone in your local area where the best place for a paintjob is. #6 - Make sure you get a base-coat clear-coat job as that will last much longer & keep the shine better. HTH, ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver