CV Joint Replacement or 1996 Saab 9000

When I turn left, I hear a scraping sound from the left front wheel. How expensive is it to replace a CV joint? Is it a big job? Thanks.

Reply to
madison41

That sounds more like a worn out wheel bearing ....

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Thanks for the info Richard. Sound like that's alost less expensive to fix, yes?? :>

Reply to
madison41

The wheelbearing would something like 70 EURO, a used but good driveshaft maybe 100 EURO.

Labour cost probably 1 (maybe 2) hours for the bearing, and the same for the driveshaft to replace. For both the wheel hub has to come off, thats the biggest part of the job. Maybe do them both at the same time or have them take it apart and diagnose.

Are you sure BTW that there is no silly something rubbing the tire in the wheel well?

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Good point. May be something stupid. I've noticed I only hear it after the car's been sitting for awhile. Once the car is warmed up and when using it during the day, no sound.

Having it checked this week by my mechanic...

Reply to
madison41

The sitting problem is not unusual for a CV (had one like that). But, you might also want to make sure it's not a dragging brake or just a tire that is "flatspotting" - both are also strong possibilities.

Reply to
still me