Where are the hybrid Accords?

I've been waiting for an '06 IMA Accord since September (I know, I know- wishful thinking on a September arrival, but I thought they'd at least be here by the end of the year). The dealerships in Georgia that I've visited are telling me that they have been "in port" since around mid-December, but are unable to give me an ETA for when they arrive in showrooms.

I contacted American Honda customer service to see if I could get some info- total waste of my time. The customer service rep told me to call my zone office (district sales office), which I did. They told me it was "Katrina's fault", although I find it hard to believe that the showrooms can be full of '06 everything EXCEPT IMA Accords and Civics (we even have a Civic Si over here). She told me to wait until at least April. Hell, that's over halfway through the '06 model year. I smell a cover-up...

Is there anybody out there that has info on the holdup? Which port are they in? East coast? West coast? Japanese?

Reply to
Spazpop2000

mabye they are waiting for gas prices to rise (as they steadly have been for the past few weeks) and when they hit their peak, they release them. although an Accord hybrid still isn't worth the extra money, it will take you a LOT of miles to even break even on the deal. also no manual tranny? why is the insight the only manual transmission hybrid made (prius, civic and accord are all auto only).

Reply to
Dr Nick

I think you might have hit the nail on the head :)

------------------------------------ Mike Mangione

xblazinlv

This answer is directed to the question about the automatic transmission. In Toyotas the "Hybrid Synergy Drive" is an essential component of the system. The transmission acheives continuously variable "gear" ratios by a combination of two electric motors separately driving the planetary gear carrier and the drive shaft. This allows the gasoline engine to operate at optimum speed most of the time, maximizing fuel efficiency. Extra power, when needed, comes from the battery pack.

Here is a Wikipedia article on the operation of the Hybrid Synergy Drive

Elliot Richmond Freelance Science Writer and Editor

Reply to
Elliot Richmond

I'm not so sure about this theory. Seems to me that there wasn't ever a real surplus of hybrid vehicles sitting on the lots around here, and there haven't been any IMA Civics or Accords for a couple of months now. Honda doesn't need a spike in gas prices to sell them (although I'm sure it helps). I know salesmen who are frustrated at having 3-4 cars presold and can't deliver product. It would be foolish for Honda to spend so much money advertising the IMA Civics and Accords and then just sit on them. Something else is going on...

As for recouping the extra cost, I've read about that argument time and time again. I understand the math, but my desire to purchase hybrid(s- we already own an '04 IMA Civic) is more a show of support towards technologies that are making an effort at reducing our dependancy on fossil fuels (insert your own political/environmental reason here). As a society, we've saved more than enough money by taking the "easy way out". I just think it's fair for us to put up a little extra $$$ to try to reduce our impact on the environment through alternate energy sources, etc.

Besides, most of the mathmaticians out there don't take tax deductions/credits into consideration when figuring out the "180,000 miles of driving you'll need to do to recoup the extra costs". Our '04 A/T Civic with leather (aftermarket option added on at dealership) and 7-year/100,000 mile warranty cost us about $21,000, less the $2000 federal deduction that saved us about $600 more- not much more than a

4-door EX (if you were to add leather and warranty to it). This year, the tax incentive is even greater- a $2100 CREDIT, not deduction, on the A/T Civic. The Accord deduction is considerably less, but still better than last year.

It's a shame I can't f>

Reply to
Spazpop2000

If you can live with a 2005 Accord hybrid there may still be some in Cary , NC. We got $3k off list price.

Reply to
Art

"Spazpop2000" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I do agree with your points, we need cleaner burnign cars. I just don't think those of us who wish to use less gas should have to pay a premium for it. federal regulations arnt' making car companys improve their MPG as they should. they keep SLOWLY raising the min epa required MPG for a FLEET (I don't believe there is any regulations for the mpg of 1 car, although if it's too low there is a gas guzzler tax applied) and when the SUV was introduced, they were allowed to classify it as a lite truck instead of a car (meaning SUV's horrable gas mileage didn't effect their fleet mpg average for their car division). I honestly don't think hybrid is the (total) answer. Diesel is a great idea in my opinion, but there atn' enough companies making diesel cars (just VW and mercades as I know of in the states) if more diesel cars were made, diesel would be more affordable (also uses less resources to make, and can be blended up to 10% with bio-diesel (vegitable oil) to support american farmers, and lower our dependance on foreign oils) now I've heard talks about possible Hybrid diesel, that coudl be a BIG problem solver until hydrogen fuel cells are to the point where they can used. Imagine getting 70 or 80 MPG, but again it would come at a price premium (both diesel and hybrid technology is more expensive) now about after tax deductions and such, I could fo sword I read sometime last year that the government has been scaling back the deductions as hybrids become more popular (correct me if I'm wrong but isn't 06 the last year for the deduction, and it's peanuts to what it used to be) not sure if that was changed or not.

-Nick

Reply to
Dr Nick

Here's a link concerning the new credit:

The incentives are better per vehicle, but they only apply to the first 60,000 vehicles sold per manufacturer. Then, it starts scaling back...

BTW, I read somewhere that H>

Reply to
Spazpop2000

I thought the Civic Hybrid was available in either manual or automatic. Of course, the Prius isn't available with a transmission :-)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

thanks for the link, I wasn't aware of some of that stuff, as far as diesels, the first car I was looking at before I got my accord was a jetta TDI. the problem is wiht the gas prices a they are (this was when diesel was cheaper than gas) they were selling for sticker, and that it, so I left. although on ym test drive I was VERY suprised at the "Get up and go" this car had. all that torque at the low end sure makes it fun to drive (espically as a 5 speed). I spun tires (inadvertantly, mind you) in both 1st and 2nd gear while accelerating) I've also read about honda making a diesel in eurpoe, and if you look over there, (where they are paying MUCH mroe for gas than we are) hybrids don't exist at all. the big reason Diesel isn't EPA friendly is because of the diesel fuel we get over here. in Eurpose they have "low sulfer" diesel, I've actually seen a few stations carrying it now in the US, in a few years the low sulfer will be mandatory, and diesels will meet the epa standards for emissions while using low sulfer diesel. the Passatt TDI isn't offered this year, I don't think it has anything to do with emissions, because the golf and jetta are both offered in TDI form, the thing about the passatt is there is no manual trans. which is why I dind't evn look for it. to anyone who reads this, just for the fun of it, test drive a golf or jetta TDI, you will be pleasently suprised by the fun you can have with an engine thats rated at 100 HP (although look at the low end torque). I really think with a few advances in the fuel type and engines, diesel can be a great answer.

-Nick

Reply to
Dr Nick

You could get a manual or auto tranny in the Civic hybrid up through

2005. The new '06 design >> mabye they are waiting for gas prices to rise (as they steadly have been
Reply to
Spazpop2000