How important is this damage???

My 17 year old son drove my 2000 Golf into a snowbank and tore off somesort of black fiber/plastic cover that hooks into bottom of the front bumper. Is it clear what I am referring to.

I have got it stuck back in pretty good, but I am not fooling myself that it is a permanent fix. How important is this part? Can any auto shop replace it or should I go to a dealer; or even buy the part and replace it myself (it appears to just snap into slots on the bumper.)

thanks

Reply to
John

I am not sure of the exact part, but if my guess is right, you will want to replace it, but it is no urgent to do it. It helps keep water from being splashed where it should not and helps direct cooling air through the radiator.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I own a 04 passat and 04 golf and have not experienced this. My 89 Trans Am had this issue and would idle all day at a cool temp, BUT if I hit the freeway , it would over heat. Evidently the plastic sheild insured air went to the radiator instead of under the car.

I lost a large part of the fairing that covers the bottom of the engine (which also goes into the wheel well) on my '02 Jetta TDI when I hit a complete truck tire cap on the freeway at night. I had no temp problems at all but lost 5 mpg. Of course, I was at the beginning a 2000 mile trip....

If you want to try repairing it yourself, you should be able to do so with some fiberglass cloth and epoxy. Good luck, Cheers, jc

Reply to
jc