How often should the timing belt be replaced?

I have Passat GLX, that was bought in March 2001. The car now has 34K miles on it. The dealer said that I should replace the timing belt every four years. I checked the manual and it is not very clear to me; it only suggests the replacement for TDI engines, no mention of the gasoline V6 engines.

So when should I have it replaced? In March 2005, during my 40K service? Or should I wait until 60K?

Reply to
Kagan Gokbayrak

I would tend to go along with a minimum time of 5-6 years. Belts both wear and age. So if you are a low mileage driver, you may need to replace sooner than the mileage indicated in the manual.

I don't know, but if the GLX is a non-interference engine, then you can afford to push it a little further than you would want to push a interference engine.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

My manual for the 2001 says to replace the timing belt and tensioner at

Reply to
John H

Same recommendation in my 2000 manual. Jack

Reply to
jmpresley

Same in Bentley - 105,000 miles ... Of course Bentley also states that "Volkswagen does not specify a replacement interval for the timing belt on gasoline engines. However the publisher recommends the belt be replaced at least every 90k miles or 5 years." (Maintenance section page 21.)

And if you're talking about a VR6 ... then it's chain driven so there is no belt to replace.

Anybody confused yet?

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

You may want to check out

Some timing belts have lasted for more than 105K and some failed at

52K. This site is for 1.8T though, I do not know if it would be the same for the V6 eng> Same in Bentley - 105,000 miles ... Of course Bentley also states

that "Volkswagen does not specify a replacement interval for the

belt be replaced at least every 90k miles or 5 years."

is no belt to replace.

tensioner at

reference I

Reply to
kgokbayr

Every 100,000 miles or ten years whichever comes first is what I recommend.

TL

Reply to
Tom Levigne

cheap insurance, I would do it at 80,000miles.

Reply to
Woodchuck

The rule of thumb is - change it every time you change the water pump(about 60-80K on average)

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

The decal above my radiator say to replace the tooth belt at 75,000 miles. John

Reply to
John H