How often timing belts break on 2003 Golf?

When should I change the timing belt on my 2003 Golf with a 2.0 engine? Car has 74,000 miles. Do these ever break on Golfs?

Do you think its safe to wait to 100,000 miles? Or should I change this now?

thanks, TL

Reply to
Tom Levigne

What does your owner's manual specify as the replacement interval?

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

Yes they do break and it almost always is sometime not too long past the scheduled replacement time. Look in your owner's manual and it will tell you when to replace it. If fact you will find a lot of interesting things in that manual. It's cold and dark these days, a good time to spend an evening reading the manual.

If you don't have a manual try google, eBay or the dealer.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Do you inspect the belt regularly ? Do you listen to the engine noises regularly to see if you can tell if the water pump or a bearing is starting to show wear? Do you start the car with the air conditioner in the on position? Do you drive in conditions of extremes - hot and or cold and smog? Is your engine going to be fixed for free if it breaks? That 104,000 mile replacemnet of the belt suggestion is if all the other preventive maintenances have been done.

Reply to
samstone

Does your car have an interference engine? In case you don't know what an interference engine is, it is an engine that will destroy itself if it gets out of time (the valves will strike the top of the pistons). A broken belt results in the engine being out of time.

So for an interference engine, it is imperative that the belt be in good condition. A rule of thumb is to replace the belt every 60,000 miles.

For non-interference engines, a broken belt will leave you stranded, but at least the engine will still be OK.

Reply to
Papa

Common sense suggests that, in doubt, sooner would be better than later...

Reply to
al

Yes, I understand what type of engine I own and I refer to the owner's manual regularly. Thank you but I was just looking for some actual experience that people may have had.

Reply to
Tom Levigne

My 2003 manual suggests that I am to inspect the timing belt and rollers at 80,000 mile. Replacement at 100,000 miles. The timing belt looked ok when I replaced it. Idler rollers were a bit noisy but they were part of the replacement parts kit. I happen to have a tdi which may have a different service inspection and replacement schedule from yours. No, I have not had a timing belt break in 20 years of water cooled VWs. I replace as scheduled. I guess I have about 400,000 miles of watercooled VW driving in three different cars.

Reply to
Jim Behning

You mean the "experience" of a destroyed engine, and/or the "experience" of installing a belt after it breaks? Common sense, as one other poster has already stated, should be your guide. Re-read your owners manual. The suggested time for replacing belts is there. Stretch that time out, and you will probably pay some expensive consequences.

Reply to
Papa

I was not the person who posted the question. I looked at my Jetta

2003 manual which is supposed to cover the 2.0L engine along with a slew of other engines. I looked twice and could not see the service interval for that engine's timing belt. I have a tdi which I see along with 6 cylinder negines and the 1.8t. Am I blind? Well I know the answer to that question but is it another typo/ommision?
Reply to
Jim Behning

I think what the OP is looking for is whether the timing belt is likely to break at or around 74,000 miles or do they usually last to the suggested change time.

My timing belt was ready to break at 70,000 miles due to a failed roller bearing on my 2000 Beetle. So in my case it can happen at around that mileage but I don't know how common that is.

Reply to
Gary D

haven't seen a 2l tb break in years on that engine. Personally I would replace it at 80,000miles.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck