How often change timing belt 2001 Jetta TDI?

Dealer says change belt every 40k. Owner of a VW repair shop who does a ton of VW repairs says every 80k.

I've heard there's a "long life" Timing belt?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks, Kerry

Reply to
Kerry Boytzun

IIRC, 40k would be right for an auto, 60k for a standard. At some point they started with 80k belts, but I'm not sure you can retrofit them on older models. Check

Wake

I'm not sure how the Jetta TDI engine is configured, but in general this question becomes VERY important if the vehicle's engine can destroy itself because it gets out of time. That is, for some engines it is possible for the valves to collide with the pistons if the timing belt breaks. For other engines it is physically impossible for the valves to collide with the pistons, no matter how badly out of time it becomes.

So, in the latter case, the only expense is the cost of a new belt. In the former case, the expense is the cost of a new belt PLUS the cost of a new (or rebuilt) engine.

Reply to
Papa

Why did you even bother to answer if you know nothing about diesel engines. VW TDI diesel engines have zero clearance heads. If the timing belt breaks you will, at best, bend valve stems. More serious head damage is likely. The newer 80K belts are available for the A3 and A4 model classes. It will require a different tensioner from the older belts.

Diesel

Reply to
Diesel

I bothered to answer because that very thing happened to my VW Dasher Diesel. The timing belt broke while on a trip, the engine destroyed itself before I could even get the car stopped, and $3000 and 2 days later I was on my way.

OK?? Next time try a little tact instead of sticking your foot in your mouth.

Reply to
Papa

That would have been a better answer to tell offer rather than a wishy washy non-answer. Diesel engines are zero clearance. I don't know of a timing belt break on a diesel engine that doesn't cause extensive damage.

Ooh. Getting defensive. Sorry I messed your feathers.

Reply to
Diesel

That would have been a better answer than a wishy washy type answer. Diesel engines are zero clearance engines. Too bad you had to learn the hard way.

Getting defensive, ay. Sorry I messed your feathers.

Reply to
Diesel

I don't believe you.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

I don't care if you believe me or not.

Check a number of sources. Fred's TDI website; engine shop manuals, your local diesel mechanic, etc.

That high compression that make the TDI combust diesel fuel will put the valve heads right into the pistons when the timing belt breaks.

or take your chances and find out the expensive way.

Your choice.

Reply to
Diesel

Again.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Reply to
none2u

Almost exactly what happened to mine. By the way, looks like "Diesel" just can't read.

Reply to
Papa

I don't get this exchange -- is there some bad blood between Diesel and Tom's VR6?

Reply to
Brian Running

It doesn't make any sense to me either. I don't have any bad blood. Anyone understanding diesel engines would understand head and valve clearance consequences. Guess his panties must have gotten bunched up. I'm doing the timing belt on my 98 Jetta TDI now because it's time. Did the NB TDI last March. Every 80K miles is safe. Neglecting this may be detrimental to your vehicle's health. It doesn't change whether someone believes it or not. By the way I read just fine. Sometimes other people offer advice that doesn't answer the questions posed by people seeking advice.

Reply to
Diesel

Spec is 40k miles if the car has an automatic transmission, 60k miles if the car has a manual transmission.

Late in 2001, a new type belt and tensioner was installed, but the maintenance spec was changed to 80k miles for 2002. A larger roller was added for 2003 and the spec was changed to 100k miles.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee