How to install '94 Jetta radio in '87 Cabby?

Looking to install in my '87 Cabriolet the anti-theft radio from possibly a '94 Jetta but not sure. The tag on the radio is VWZ5Z6P0121906*. Is this part of the security code? If not can I get the code from a VW dealer based on this tag so that the radio will start up.

Tested it with 12 volts on the + - terminals, but only the security light flashes, the display stays blank when turned on.

Does anyone know the minimum wiring setup and terminals need to get it to power up and play through the front speakers of my Cabby?

Any info would be appreciated.

Todd

Reply to
Todd

There should be 2 power leads goingto the radio, one for memory and the other for main power. Did you supply power to both of them and turn the knob on? The Bentley may have info on the radio's wiring, or it may be on the radio somewhere. Good luck on getting the code............let us know how you do it without the original car! ;-)

dave

Your mileage may vary in getting a dealer to give you the code. I don't know if VWOA has an official 'policy' on this.

Last spring, I stuck a '93 "Premium" radio into my '85 Jetta and it asked for the code. I drove over to the local VW dealer (Herzog-Meier in Beaverton Oregon). The guy slid the radio out of the dash, wrote down what I presume was the serial number of the radio, went into the back room, and several minutes later came out and handed me a computer printout that had the security code. And did all this for *FREE* even though I was prepared to pay for it and even though I'm not a steady customer there.

However, a couple of years ago when I lived in Orlando Florida, I tried the same thing with an '88 Golf and the local dealer (Royal VW on Lee Road in Winter Park FL) absolutely refused to do it, even though I was (up to that point) a steady customer, and had in fact just finished spending hundreds of dollars with them on other things.

- FM -

Reply to
Fred Mau