How to keep rats out of Jetta

Our 2002 Jetta Wagon had a rat in in yesterday. My wife was sure only a dealer could deal with it. They chased it out and it ran across the workshop floor. I've set traps in the garage and once in a while kill one of the varmits but another always takes his place. Anyone know how do deal with these guys?

Reply to
Michael Pearlman

Get a garage cat.

"We'll go down to Transverse City Life is cheap and Death is free Past the condensation silos Past the all-night trauma stand We'll be there before tomorrow"

"Transverse City" Warren Zevon from "Transverse City"

Reply to
John A. Stovall

Can you blame the rat for wanting to sleep in a nice jetta!!! At least the rat has good taste! Trade your jetta in for an hyundai elantra station wagon that ought to scare your rat away!!!

inbetweendays

2003 jetta 1.8t

Reply to
Inbetween Days

  1. Figure out where they are getting into your garage and fix it. If there are no holes to the outside they cant get in, unless they sneak in when you open the door.
  2. Figure out how/where they are getting into your car and fix that. Sentence two from 1. also applies here as well.
Reply to
Biz

We use mothballs.

Reply to
Tom R.

They're looking for food, water and shelter.

If you make sure there's no food or water then they tend not to stick around (especially if you're in California and the weather's always nice). This means that all trash cans are sealed, no standing water, etc.

Tim Wohlford

Reply to
Tim Wohlford

I heard that rats and mice also don't like Irish Spring soap.

At least it might smell better to YOU than mothballs. ;-)

dave

Cat(s).

Feed them well, but once a week or month or so you cut way down on the chow, yes starve them a bit, to regen the feral aspect.

There have been dogs bred to handle them as well, if for some reason you are anti-cat and refuse treatment. (Get them young & raise them together and you can have both.)

Of course preventing the rats from getting into the house/garage in the

1st place is key.

TBerk

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Put pieces of cheese all around your Jetta so the rats are drawn to those instead of the car.

Reply to
Ken Sternberg

Have you ever smelled moth balls? Yes? Well, how did you get their little legs apart?

LOL! (sorry, couldn't resist)

Reply to
93 Fox

You're going to have the Rats hot wiring the car to get beer from the store. To go with the cheese.

TBerk

As someone else said, mothballs placed around the garage are helpful. However, the rats are in the garage because there's something to eat there. If there's nothing obvious there such as a bag of bird seed, think about bugs. Rodents are often drawn into buildings to eat insects such as cockroaches and crickets.

Bill

Reply to
William Maslin

I'm telling you Bill- they are trying to hot wire the car.

TBerk

In that case, it is fortunate for Michael that late model VWs are hard to hot wire! :-)

Reply to
William Maslin