Idle problem on 90 golf

I have a real nice 90 golf That I've done alot of work to make drivable It starts runs good when warmed up a few minutes and drives fine, it will "pop" back fire some times when letting off the accelerator , Turning on the working air conditioning at idle will shut the engine off. I've looked for exhaust leaks and vacuum leaks with no luck.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

Well, running lean, so I'd recheck for leaks first (sometimes these can be hard to find, how did you diagnose? Did you try propane?)

Reply to
PeterD

The popping (backfiring) could be related to timing- have you set it recently?

Also, how are your spark plugs?

If the car is dying when you use the air conditioner, it may be too great a load for the idling alternator. Is your battery strong? Is the alternator belt nice and tight?

Check again for leaks- those little tubes that go from the air filter box plus the intake tube are potential places.

It's a great car- the more mysteries the more fun!

Keep posting your questions- also post what eventually works.

Reply to
B Briggs

Is the car Digifant? Make sure the ground for the computer hasn't corroded or worked loose. It usually attaches to back left side of the valve cover.

HTH, Jeffo

Reply to
Jeffo