Ignition problems on 83 gti HELP!

Hi, I have been having a worsening problem with the ignition system on my

83gti.

I used to start fine. then one day I was driving around, and stopped a few times for stuff.

Well, after one of the stops, the car had a hard time restarting. It will start, but only after you let off the key. Buy that I mean as long as the starter is engaged, I get no spark. but when I let off, it fires right up.

So I drove it like this for about 2 weeks, and its been getting worse. now it only hits one spark after the starter disengages. there doesn't seem to be a pulse from the hall unit, but at this point I'm not sure. I have tried a coil, ignition switch assembly new fuel relay, new cap/ rotor, and new power amp

Is this a wiring problem? I've never heard of a hall unit not working while the starter is on. I have plus voltage at coil plus side, but only occasional pulse signal (only after start is off) WHY WHY WHY????

Reply to
The HairyBeast