Intake Manifold Question

Sorry if this has been posted twice....

Alright...I feel really stupid right now...I cannot find in the Bentley where it describes the procedure to remove the intake manifold....I can't believe that it isn't mentioned in the book, but I have looked in the Fuel System, Engine, and every other section I can think of.....What am I doing wrong?

In typical Bentley fashion, the Index is lacking on the location of a few topics....

Anyone who could point me in the right direction would be awesome!

Thanks,

Peter

Reply to
Pete Cressman

If I recall you loosen the two nuts on the left head and the two nut an the right head. Loosen the two nuts on the left exhasut manifold and the two nuts on the right manifold. Remove the choke wire and the throttle cable and it lifts right off. Oops, not aircoolded.

Remove brace from exhaust manifold. Remove 8 allen bolts. Remove throttle cable and lift off.

Most of the older manuals do not have a nut by nut >Sorry if this has been posted twice....

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

We talking an A2 here?

If so, I did mine totally by feel and sight. I remember I did a lot from under the car too and had the car up on ramps. Some things were just easier to reach when going up under the car. I basically just removed anything attached to the intake manifold and eventually removed the manifold itself. It's held to the engine by a bunch of allen bolts. The ones on the driver's side are tough to reach. I had to pretty much climb on top of the engine and just about "hug" it to get my hands and arms where they needed to be. It is a bit of a pain...no doubt about that.

Reply to
Matt B.

Oops....I should post when I am 1/2 asleep...yeah...We are taking about my Jetta....1990 1.8 Digifant...

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Jetta....1990 1.8 Digifant...

yeah in that case, what I said holds true. There's no magic to it...it's just a question of removing things that are attached to it and then trying to handle the manifold bolts themselves (hard to reach and mostly by feel...you can only make out 1 or two of them on the passenger side. The others are by feel only. they did come out easily enough though, thank goodness, once I found where they were.

one thing I do recommend is starting the car and pulling the fuell pump fuse and letting it die. This depressurizes the fuel system. I say this because on mine there's a bracket on the manifold that is shared with the fuel pressure regulator. I couldn't get the bracket off (bolt was overtorqued) so I tried to wiggle the rest of the bracket out from behind the fuel pressure regulator and ended up popping the regulator off of the fuel rail, spilling fuel.

Reply to
Matt B.

When you go to restart the car after depressurizing the fuel system, do you just cycle the key on and off a few times or, crank the engine until it starts? If that is the case, how long should it take for things to come back to life?

Reply to
Pete Cressman

It takes a little extra cranking, but not much. It starts up fairly easily.

Reply to
Matt B.