Interior Light Delay unit - Golf III - Where is it?

Hello - Having problems with the interior light on my Golf III - does not come on when either door is opened - and suspect the delay unit may be at fault. Where can I find it? p

Reply to
gremalkin

On A2 cars it is a very small circuit board (~2 cm x 3 cm) mounted inside the dome light at the switch end of it. Perhaps yours is the same?

Reply to
Randolph

what a2s had a delay light? (mine doesn't)

Reply to
Matt B.

I can't tell you what models and years got the delay. I only know the location because I picked the delay unit out from an A2 Jetta at the junk yard a year or so back. I meant to install it in my GTi, but ended up making my own, integrated with the keyless entry system I added.

Reply to
Randolph

Should be the same, but from the op's description I doubt this is the culprit. The delay module is - kind of - wired in parallel to the door contacts, so if it fails you should just lose the delay. To the op:

- Check with all doors if no luck: - Check fuse, check bulb try to apply ground to the - from memory - brown wire with the white stripe at the light assembly.

Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Braune

As no real "base" models were sold in the US: Maybe you got an westmoreland electrified golf? My european 85 A2 Jetta with GL trim-level had the delay from the factory.

Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Braune

Not true, my mom has a base model '86. Actually it will be mine as soon as I can go get it. I kind of like the lack of accessories, the only options it has are air conditioning, rear defog, and rear wiper (I'm not sure, were the last two even optional?) Wouldn't mind having power windows, but it's narrow enough it's not too painful to reach over and roll down the pass. side. Electric mirrors would be nice too, but if it's a one-driver car it's a non-issue once you get 'em set.

I believe it does not have the delay, neither did my '84 Scirocco (German) or '84 GTI (Westmoreland.) My '89 GTI 16V (Westmoreland - I think? don't recall) did have the delay, but the little capacitor was very toasted, so it didn't work.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

No - mine's a Mexican-production '91 8V GTI and it hasn't been messed with 'cause I'm the original owner.

We did have "base" models from 1988-1989 (we had Golfs badged as just "Golf" and were lesser equipped compared to their GL counterparts).

Reply to
Matt B.
[...]

Now, that may be what you in the US call base model...

Don't know for the US spec A2, but a european "base model" A2 would have a 55HP engine (just 45HP for Italy and IIRC Portugal), no center console no middle air outlets in the hard plastics dash (that's right there were different kinds over here and the ones without padding have one benefit: they never crack), neither light in trunk nor glove box and of course like 99% of the A2s over here no AC.

Ok, so it's not a strictly US - europe thing, but maybe the delay module took some time to get over the pond. ;-)

Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Braune

Ah, yes I forgot about the fact that production for the US moved to Mexico while the A2 was still in production. But AFAIK the mexican A2s share the electrical differences to the european A2s that the US-built had - like individual bulb holders in the tail-lights and something with fusible links at the battery.

Now this might have been what you call base model, but as I already wrote in my other posting you could go way more "base" in europe. How do you like this instrument cluster for instance?

Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Braune

Yes but that more has to do with how VW decided to meet US lighting requirements and since US or Euro tails would meet local (Mexican) market rules too, that's why the Mexican plant turned out Golfs with US-style tails.

Not that I know of there. My '91 is the same CEII system as on late Euro A2s. I've never seen fusible links near the battery on my car.

Sounds like it.

Our "base" Golf from '88 to '89 was basically a 2-door (don't think there was a "base" 4-door those years) and the most obvious giveaway other than the badge was just "Golf" was no right hand mirror. Can't remember what all the other differences were...maybe a clock instead of a tach? Dunno.

Reply to
Matt B.

yes, that makes sense, but the move Westmoreland to Mexico was in July

1988 - as I just googled -

and the CEII did come one year later Aug. 1989 with the 1990 model of the A2 - in europe that was. Now all we need is somebody with a August 1988 to July 1989 A2 made in Mexico, to confirm wheter those's electrics were more euro- or US-style prior to the introduction of the CEII. ;-)

Again this makes sense on a CEII.

So you got at least a clock on the base model.

Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Braune

If the Bentley for US models is to be believed and if the fuse/relay panels are also an indicator of the electrical system, here's how it breaks down the different ones into groups.

Jettas had two styles of fuse/relay panels:

1985 to January 1989 (VIN 1G-KW400 000) Jetta January 1989 through 1992 (VIN 1G-KW400 001) Jetta

Golfs and GTIs went through three groups:

1985 Golf/GTI (US production) 1986-1989 Golf/GTI (US production (same as the '85 panels but some locations/functions changed))

1989 Golf/GTI (Mexico production, and a quick glance shows that it looks like the '85 to January '89 Jetta one)

1990 through 1991 Golf/GTI (presumably Mexico production, same as the last Jetta panel).

-Matt

Reply to
Matt B.