Intermittent power loss-hall sender?

Help!

Background:Passat G60 Syncro Wagon

While driving or just at rest idling, the car will just turn itself off. I don't lose electrical (ie. windows, dash, stereo, etc.) but I do lose the power-assisted steering. It really scares the bejeebuz out of me when I'm driving as it isn't like I'm just releasing the throttle, the tach drops to zero immediately like the car has been turned off. It has happened in all types of weather and on short and long drives. It can happen 5 minutes after I turn on the engine or 2 hours after I turn on the engine. I have taken it to 4 shops now, the last being the local dealership. Have had lots of parts replaced with no luck. The real pisser is that everytime I get it to a shop, the car decides to run fine. (Just like that singing frog....) A couple of days ago, the dealership replaced one battery clamp, adjusted my fuel/air ratio and made sure that all of my ground wires from the ECU and from the battery were good. Today, my car died on the way to work. Was going to get it towed to the dealership but the car decided to fire up again when the tow truck arrived! The tow truck followed me to the dealership where I dropped it off again. And of course, the problem would not manifest itself. Arghh! The most recent theory from the dealer is that the hall sender may be faulty. Just so you know, a list of parts that I have had replaced are: fuel pump (minus new sending unit), power supply and fuel relays, fuse panel, and ignition switch. Oil is changed regularly and air filters, fuel filters, and spark plugs are changed at the recommended intervals.

So, finally was able to do some diagnostics on my car while it was dead. Has died frequently over the last 2 weeks, (once while I was trying to off-load from a ferry....that was frustrating to say the least.) While dead, tested for spark at the ignition coil from the ignition wire and no spark. Suspect a faulty Hall Sender so as per the Bentley manual, tested for power and proper ground going into hall sender through the harness attached to the distributor. Got 12V across the 2 outer connectors (Bentley says should be at least 9V) so that seems to be OK. Test the hall sender function by probing the middle connector of the hall sender harness (while it is connected to distributor) and touching the battery (+)terminal while cranking the engine. With the ignition at start position, read ~1.6V but while cranking it decreases to 1.52V. What does that mean? Bentley says to use a LED tester but I figured that a multimeter set at 40V range should do it, right? Anyways, Bentley says the LED should flicker while cranking. I figured the multimeter should show a fluctuating reading if the sender was working properly. Eventually, the car started up again after taking off the distributor cap and cleaning around the sender (don't know if this did anything or if the car was just ready to mysteriously start again). I did the above check of the hall sender unit again and when the ignition is turned to the start position, I read 12V between the middle connector of the hall sender harness and the battery (+) terminal. I did not check it while cranking as I was scared I'd damage my meter. Anyways, have read lots on the hall sender on the VW newsgroups and how it has caused unpredictable intermittent loss of power to the engine. Based on the above diagnostics, I am even more determined that it is a faulty hall sender unit. Am I on the right track? Is there anything else I can do while it is dead to ensure that it is in fact the hall sender?

Also, where is the power stage on the ignition coil? Bentley shows a separate attachment on the side of the coil (looks like a capacitor of some sort) whereas I don't see it on my coil. Are g60 syncro coils different? What I do have is a connector attached to the 1(-) terminal on the coil with a single wire coming out of it.

Thanks.

Ernie stage 2 wagon 159000 km Victoria, BC

Reply to
Ernie W.

Below starting at the >>is the text of a message that I posted here in February of 2003. Does this sound at all familiar? The problem turned out to be that one of the small wires that plugs into the coil was not making good contact where it plugs into the coil ( I don't know the purpose of this wire -- maybe a ground of some sort? -- It was a small wire, maybe 18 or 20 guage). After over $1000 and several garages, the problem was finally solved with a pair of needlenose pliers and less than 5 minutes of labor.

--

I have a 1986.5 Wolfsburg manufactured Quantum with ~200,000 miles on it. I have recently had some problems that no mechanic has been able to solve. About 2 years ago it started to just completely shut off for no apparent reason when driving. There are no signs that this is going to happen ---- it just stops running. It will do this in any weather conditions -- cold or hot, wet or dry. Usually it will restart after waiting 5 minutes. If I try to start it before waiting 5 minutes it typically shows signs of flooding and will not start for days. The shutoff happens at any throttle setting, but does happen more frequently when going uphill but has happened going downhill. It will also do this at any time ----- just after startup or after traveling for hours. At first it was infrequent (once or twice / year) now it does it almost every time that I take it out on the road. It has now developed a noticeable miss (infrequent -- once every 2 minutes) and occasional surging at idle. Sometimes it will stall for a second and then start back up and resume running without me having to turn the key. Work that has already been tried to correct the problem.

  1. plugs
  2. wires
  3. distributor
  4. fuel injection cleaner (liquid type only)
  5. new fuel pump
  6. new fuel pump relay
  7. new fuel filter The closest VW dealer is over 70 miles away from my house and all of this work has been done by mechanics with no VW specialty training. The car has also recently had a new timing belt installed HELP, this car looks great and is a pleasure to drive when it is running. I really don't want to get rid of it.

Craig

Reply to
I'm a Movie

Jim B.