Jetta 2001 (GLX): $700 in repairs

Well, the MIL was acting up so I brought it in to the dealer to check today. He says it's a "coil" of some kind that's defective (some sort of electronic part I think), and that it's causing some misfires. So, it's a $500 part, and 1.5 Hrs of labour.

I thought it might have been the Mass Airflow sensor that was at fault (just got a letter in the mail about a warranty extension on that), or perhaps the O2 sensor (had the problem last year, didn't fix it because it went away when the weather got warmer). At least those two problems would have been under warranty...

So, after having the car only 3 years, I'm now out ~$700 (parts, labour, taxes).

@($#*!!!

Reply to
Thomas45

Rob Guenther

I feel sorry for you as most VW's go over 100,000 miles before spending a single cent! You might ask your dealer if VW will "help" with the price of the part since the cars only 3 years old? But that also depends how many miles you got on it too. If it's under 36,000miles you may have a chance.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I'll ask when I go pick up the car this afternoon, and post the response I get. FYI, the car has 82,000Km (or 51,000 miles). It's not a small number, but then again I understand that this is some sort of electric/electronic part, and it doesn't seem that mileage would affect it greatly.

Another poster wrote:

When I dropped the car off this morning, they checked the VIN, and told me no outstanding recalls were active. I didn't get any news of any warranty extension, except for the Mass Airflow Sensor.

Thanks for the heads up though! (If you have a source for that, I would love to have it to show them, so they can partly cover it or refund me part of the cost)

Reply to
Thomas45

Not part of the coil recall?

Reply to
Matt B.

Ah yes, another inductee into the VW Hall of Woe. I think this was your ignition coil that he replaced. Its a high voltage transformer that takes timed lower-voltage impulses from the ignition control module (or whatever the hell VW calls it), and through the magic of inductance and electromagnetics, converts these impulses into really high voltage impulses that come out of the ends of your spark plugs as, you guessed it, sparks!

I'm not sure what happened to VW's or Bosch's ignition coils, but in lots of failed ignition coils, the combination of heat and corrosion, plus the effects of high voltage, cause the low voltage and high voltage sections to short together, or the high voltage section shorts to the frame, either way the spark doesn't get to the plugs.

Reply to
Bob F.

Yes. I just came back from the dealer, and it wasn't the ignition coil that was replaced, but the ignition coil's *transformer*. It's a black rectangular shapped box, about 2" wide, by 6" long, by 3" high. The top has 6 short tubular extensions sticking out. Overall, it looks like a large Lego brick would.

The part was $569, so with labour and taxes my total comes to $784 !!!

The work report says that the computer had recorded

4 misfires (which I fully believe, since I heard these as they occured during the last few drives before I went to the dealer to get it fixed). The onboard computer display simply said "Emissions Workshop".

The work report also says there was a crack and water/humidity in the part.

This sounds like a part which is not really subjected to mechanical wear and tear, and should definitely last more than

3 years unless it has an inherent defect. Or am I totally out to lunch on this???

Is this a commom problem with VW? Has a recall been issued for this part, and if so, where can I get such information?

Thank you for any help!

Reply to
Thomas45

Reply to
Rob Guenther

The warranty was 2 years, or 40,000km (25,000 miles).

Guess I should have been suspicious...

Reply to
Thomas45

Down here in the USA we call that a coil pack which has coils for all 6 cylinders within the assembly. Now we really don't replace too many of them but it wouldn't hurt to call VW and see if they will help out on the cost of the coil pack. Transformer or coil it's all the same thing.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Don't believe this a minute. Average, they are among the most expensive cars to bring to 100000 miles.

Reply to
Saintor

Ouch... The new ones are all 4 year, 80K kms.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Not TRUE!

My Jetta has about 280,000 km on it and I have never spent any major $$$

- Peter

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Hmmm... While surfing the VW website, I came upon this:

"Q: What is the latest development on ignition coils? A: ... Volkswagen of America is now replacing all ignition coils in ... 2001 and 2002 model year Jetta and EuroVan models with VR6 engines..." Now that fits my car exactly (Jetta 2001 GLX). But when I called VW, they said my car was not part of this recall. Does anyone know why? Is this a US only recall? (I'm in Canada).

Does anyone have any idea of what avenue I should try next?

Reply to
Thomas45

No, I talk to the parts guy at my VW dealer all the time when I go in there, and he has mentioned coils would be under warranty if I had a gasoline powered VW.

I just got my MAF sensor recall form, which seems to be the big TDI problem... The gas powered cars all had screwed up coils... At least we all shared the window falling down issue :-).

Reply to
Rob Guenther

It's the 24v VR6 which is included, not the 12v engine.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Do you know the word AVERAGE? It is not for nothing that VW is constantly at the bottom of CR ranking.

Reply to
Saintor

I would keep persuing it. I have an '00 Jetta VR6 and about a year ago my dealer replaced my coils saying that they were part of a recall.

dv

Reply to
Drew Volpe