Jetta headache

My Jetta 2001 seems to be ailing a little. Would anyone tell me if there's an underlying cause for the following symptoms?

Quits on me when I come to a moderately quick stop. Other times it revs up and down for a while, I wait for the tachometer to read low and shift into "D" gear quick; sometimes with a big jolt but then it quiets down. Not long ago it would not shift into high gear. I had to drive about 24 km below 85 km/hr to keep the tacho under 3500 rev/min. On the way back, about 2 hrs later, it was alright. It's a pity it, for the odometer only shows about 120K and I like to keep it a little longer, if I could. I seem to have bad luck with garages. They identify the cause, change something, but fail to fix the problem. I still have the "Check" light on after three trials at fixing it.

Is it possible that the Speed sensor needs be changed. Or maybe the ignition harness might be acting . I had it tune, they replaced spark plugs and all hi-tension coils. Most often it works beautifully except for the odd times.

Harb

Reply to
harbinger

I vote Throttle Body might be dirty or bad have those codes (setting off the Engine Check Light) checked and post them here. Your engine is probably Drive By Wire with no cable to the Throttle Body

BTW which engine is in your '01 Jetta?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Seconded.

All in favor?

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Don't use cheap gas!

Reply to
Ears

I used to until it started to act up. At first, one of the sparkplug coils was failing intermittently. They changed the oxygen sensor to fix the "Check" light problem. It worked well for a while. But soon after the light came back. Then, the coil failed altogether. I was about to take it to the garage when an idea came to mind to take all four spark plugs out set them into the coils and rested them on the engine top hooked up to the harness. Got the wife to turn on the key and I noticed that one spark plug was not firing. So I changed all four coils myself. The I started using hi-grade gasoline. I no longer had the inter- mittent no-power syndrome. I also use Penzoil 5w-30 Platinum, Full synthetic.

I had an emission check this year. The results were:

---ASM 2525--- ---Curb Idle--- Limit Reading Limit Reading HC ppm 66 22 150 34 CO% 0.37 0.07 0.70 0.62 NO ppm 505 19

Is the CO% too high at Curb Idle? I add a little oil now and then. About a pint 2000 km or so. Or is that OK? But then it seems to be alright at ASM 2525.

Thanks to all Harb.

Reply to
harbinger