Jetta vs WRX

How does the new '05 VW A5 platform Jetta compare to the same year subaru WRX Imprezza in terms of handling, cornering, ride, power, performance, and refinement?

Reply to
eastwardbound2003

rotfl.

aNDY

Reply to
Nik&Andy

You are indeed one funny dude.

Reply to
ihatespam

Andy, I can't see why you find this so amusing.

Reply to
eastwardbound2003

Subaru cars are ugly, Jetta are not. End of comparison, eh?

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Aesthetics and styling was not on the list.

Reply to
eastwardbound2003

Approximately the way an apple compares to an orange.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

The Jetta would be more comfortable (at least from what I have experienced, I don't find Subie seats the greatest.. average at least). Much more refined car (it's a way newer design), much much safer, far nicer interior... If the WRX is the one with the ~200+ hp turbo motor, the 2.5L Jetta would not match up in performance, and a 2.0T Jetta is more then likely going to cost more then the Subie. At least with the Jetta you can get a diesel, and save some money on fuel.

Dynamically the Jetta isn't a bad car, but it's going to run on 195/65 R15 tires stock... the WRX I would imagine runs something more aggressive, they look to be at least 16" wheels - i'd hazard a guess at 215mm tires on them. (I've been in a Forester and a more basic Imprezza, not the WRX - which is a nice upgrade)... I'd think the rally bred Imprezza would be the more fun to drive car tho.

If you're after luxury ride and interior, and the safest side impact car on the market, and one of the better frontal impact cars on the market (definately safest small car overall)... If you don't care about the safety, can take a more bargain basement interior, but want a more sporty ride, i'd go Imprezza.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Which car is best for what class of people? I'm thinking both are ment for youngsters, bachelors and bachelorettes. How are they very different? Both are fast, nimble, compact cars. There's got to be more to a car than what it looks like from the outside.

Reply to
eastwardbound2003

The 300hp WRX is a $30k+ car and built as more of a rally car, which those experts actually give Subaru lots of points for the mechanical quality of its pieces under the hood. Comparing the 2 is like comparing apples to oranges as they aren't similar cars at all. The owner of the local Subaru dealer pulled up next to me one night in this machine and just left me standing when the light turned green. It would easily blow away a turbo Jetta. The issue of creature comfort may be debatable though.

Reply to
Larry

I'd probably do just fine with the WRX seating. I'm about 5' 8" and I sat it one without any problems or difficulties.

Honestly I think Subarus are great cars because of the underpinnings. I'd drive a subaru, but never a toyota, honda, nissan, isuzu, suzuki or mitsubishi.

For exterior styling hands down, the Jetta wins. But for performance I'd give it to the WRX. For ride and safety I'd give the credits to the Jetta.

Reply to
eastwardbound2003

Mainly because... WAIT A MIN, I can't believe your getting me to justify that reply!

The subaru is much faster, it can go around corners properly, it will handle in the wet etc....

Other than that, they don't really compare at all in my humble view, they are totally different cars, intended for totally different market segments. The subaru is a 4wd off road wannabe rally car, best in STI form, although the standard 2.0 non-turbo is a good car.

The Jetta is a golf (family hatch) with a boot (Old persons car) with fairly small but reliable engines. You would have to spend a lot of money to make a jetta handle and go like a subaru.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Reply to
Rob Guenther

What do you honestly want from your car... Most people wouldn't compare a Jetta to an Imprezza (well... maybe the tame 160ish Hp versions).

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Actually I had a chance to drive an STI. One word remarkable. Brembo brakes phenominal, power is crazy, and best of all is the differential switch, hehehe like the old audis. Honestly go with the Subaru. I have had nothing but trouble with my 2000 1.8T, lets see, windows dropping, ignition coils, cracked the oil pan twice for stupid reasons (aluminum cracks very easily, VW knows, thats why the oil pan is

100$-cheap), appearing check engine lights like changing underwear, diverter valve, FCM (fan control module) went shorted the AC clutch at the same time so needed a FCM and AC clutch (not cheap), rack leaking (blown seals, not cheap), engine mounts, rear brakes wearing at 15000km, and the list goes on. My other car is a 2002 Nissan Maxima, only costs me gas and oil changes, never a problem. Use it for long trips don't trust the VW. Although the VW has SOUL, The Nissan is boring yet fast. All German cars have that great feeling (Japanese will never get there). I've owed many VW's all unreliable except aircooled (Jetta 1, Rabbit, Jetta II, Golf II, Golf III, Jatta IV, Fox, Passat and Bugs) but fun. Like I said the Nissan keeps me from staying under the hood, use the VW's on the weekends.

Ohh and lets not forget VWstealiships suck, I still cannot find proper and adequate service. My Nissan service never had any problems with them. Yet I will always have place in my heart for a VW.

Reply to
Alex