life of a 2.1

I read a report that suggests the 2.1 engine starts to wear out real fast after 150000 miles. The report gives ananlysis details which include the use of an oil pressure gauge. To make a long story short, my engine has a bad coolant leak from a head gasket. I am installing an oil pressure gauge. If the situation looks bad, I shall think seriously of having the engine rebuilt or swapping. If I swap, what other engines are available for the vanagon that will fit and give a longer life than 150000 miles? Earl

Reply to
Earl

Earl, The later vanagons with the larger, 2.1L engines, use the same connecting rods as the 1.9l engines except the bolts are different. As the engines age the rod bores become ablong. Then they throw connecting rods. A good indicator is oil pressure so your guage is a good idea. If you choose to rebuild your engine the connecting rods must be rebuilt also. Many rebuilds of the 2.1L engines fail shortly because they are overlooked. Do a search on fastfoward for some engine options. There are kits available with new VW 2L gas engines from Tiico of South Aferica where the vanagons were untill very recently made. On the cheap you can put in a used vw engine with parts from a diesel powered (underpowered) vanagon.

A Subrue also is a popular choice.

Join the vanagon news group. Jo Bo

93 Eurovan-MV 99 "new" jetta tdi former 84 vanagon
Reply to
Jo Bo