Slight thunking sound on my 2000 Golf

My Golf has just started gently thunking. It corresponds in frequency to the speed of the car and sounds like it is coming from the very front. It only is conspicuous when I am coasting, and goes away when I am accelerating or breaking. It is loudest at very low speeds. Turning does not make much difference It sounds much like there is something wrong with the tire, but the tires look fine (about 30k, good tread left). Or maybe something stuck in the wheelwell, but they look clear. Maybe the brakes are somehow out of allignment and rubbing? The car handles, accelerates, and breaks perfectly normally.

I had the car in for a 50,000 mile service last Monday, including a tire rotation and front end allignment. The mechanic commented that the car was in great shape; maybe it was a curse?! It started yesterday, and I blamed it on ice at first, but that explanation has worn thin.

Anyhow, any ideas what it could be.

Reply to
Toller

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

I had the EXACT same problem. It happened right after my tires were rotated at the tire shop where I purchased my Toyos (and where I regularly get them rotated). I assumed it was the brakes or something. I took it to my mechanic, he lifts the car, removes the front tires, inspects, finds nothing wrong, replaces tires, drops the car and when he took it for a test drive, the sound was not there. And its never come back since.

Weird.

Anyway, have your guy pop the tires off and have a look. I am curious of this helps you also.

Good luck.

accelerating

Reply to
sonodude88

I just got new tires on my '01 Jetta last week. Now, I'm noticing a slight shudder starting at ~35mph and increasing as speed does. It makes no sound, tho. I can't feel it in the wheel, but I can hear it in all the rattles and see the wave in my drink. Just though it was interesting y'all had similar things happening with new tires. I'm about to take it back to the tire shop and have them look at it.

Reply to
Eppendorf

**Your back tires probably need to be rebalanced.

kaboomie

Reply to
kaboom

Did they charge you for it? Afterall, it was their fault, whatever it was.

Reply to
Toller

Reply to
skydivertu

Well, he really didn't do anything besides lift the car, take the tires off and put them back on. So I didn't get charged. Mind you it was my regular mechanic who checked it out, NOT the tire shop. My mechanic normally doesn't charge me for checks that don't lead to any repairs. I drive only VWs, so he gets enough business from me as it is. LOL. :)

Reply to
sonodude88

Could be the tires, I noticed the OEM Goodyear LS tires on my 2000 Golf were very loud...fortunately they wore just as quickly as they were loud, and I replaced them with Dunlop SP Sport A2..much nicer tire, much quieter, much better grip than the Goodyear tires (and they've already lasted longer than the LS's

But I'm not sure what a "thudding" noise is, especially if it is more pronounced when coasting than when the drivetrain is under load...though tire noise is (wheel) RPM dependent, it wouldn't seem to make a difference whether the person was coasting or not. --------- Tom Flynn I speak only for myself

Reply to
Tom Flynn

They drove it and confirmed it was making the noise I described. They took the wheels off, couldn't find anything wrong, put the wheels back on, and the noise was gone. Exactly like yours! There had to be a stone in there someplace, or something wasn't on quite right; donetcha think?

Reply to
Toller

Had the same thing. Caused by snow and ice getting in and building up behind the wheel covers.

Sherlock

accelerating

Reply to
Sherlock

everything...If

Reply to
Eppendorf

This was too loud for snow, and we has a slight thaw and it probably would have melted. A rock maybe, but that doesn't explain why it didn't make noise while the brakes were applied, or in reverse.

Reply to
Toller

LOL !!! Amazing isn't it??

I think one of the nuts was loose or something. Or perhaps the rim wasn't seated properly.

Who nows. Just drive. . . .and let us never speak of this again.

Reply to
sonodude88

Happened to me in the summer time. No snow, rain or mud.

Reply to
sonodude88