Lifter Replacement

After 286,000 kilometres...I am thinking that the lifters on my Jetta are in need of replacement...they clatter at start-up, they make noise while driving, and my car sounds like crap...so..is this something that the average DIYer can do? It's a 1990 Jetta GLI w/ 1.8L Digifant engine.

Suggestions for sourcing parts?

Thanks,

Peter

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Yes, but make sure your oil pressure is within spec. Low oil PSI can make them clatter..

Reply to
Woodchuck

Also the oil pumps for the newer 2L engines are a simple bolt on fix for your older 1.8L. They have 36mm gears instead of the original 30mm ones that seemed to be marginal. My son's 92 jetta 1.8 fit your discription. The new pump took about half a hour to put on and made a world of difference. He now runs 5-40 synhetic oil, would you dare try that with your current pump? Around $80 us online with new pan gasket. One hint, the vendor we got the pump from had 3 grades of gaskets, don't skimp here.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

What vender did you deal with?

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Here, it's $82.95

don't give a part number, just click VW, then jetta, then the engineblock, then scroll down to oil pumps and select. We put it on at least twoyears ago, no oil buzzer going off in hot weather, starts easy in winter,lifters pump up in one second as they should and car runs great most likelybecause the lifters are pumped up entirely. JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo