cabrio not running. almost like fuel filter clog.

Got a 97 Cabrio with only 60k miles on it. Seemed to be running fine then started dying. It will start every time and the longer try to keep it running the shorter it will run!

Have changed the fuel filter so far and the vacuum hoses seem ok. Really acts just like it is getting trash in a filter since when it sits for a while it will run maybe around the block then nothing. Always starts though...

Any ideas?

Ben

Reply to
Caleb Thomas

Other possibilities include a collapsed/clogged catalytic converter and a fuel pump problem (defective pump, wiring problem, bad fuel pump relay, etc).

A fuel pressure test at the fuel rail would help narrow this down. The procedure is described in the Bentley service manual.

Reply to
William Maslin

There is a filter in the fuel tank that does get clogged with waxy gunge.

-- Derek Wealleans snipped-for-privacy@clara.dot.co.uk Remember:- remove the anti spam

Reply to
Derek Wealleans

That may be it. We replaced the large one. Feels way too much like a filter clog since if it sits it will run for a while.

Ben

Reply to
Caleb Thomas

Feelings can be expensive! Do the '97s have the in-tank transfer pump? If so, do you hear it buzzing loudly? Turn the car to the accessory position a bunch of times when the car doesn't run. See if that pressurizes the fuel system. But most of all, check the fuel-pressure.

Darryl.

Reply to
Darryl

I would check the catalytic converter and the mass airflow sensor............. That's what it was on my Jetta!

Later

Mike

Reply to
Mike Maguire