Lock Set

Anyone know where I can find a complete lock set (one key fits all) for a

1988 VW Cabriolet Convertible? I need a lock set that would include the 2 side doors, the trunk lid, and the glove box. I've already tried rearranging the tumblers so all locks would match, but no joy there. Using a locksmith is my final, and most expensive, option.
Reply to
Papa

It's an expensive proposition no matter which way you go. I've seen them go for about $150 used on Ebay and VWvortex.com

Reply to
sehaare

why not get some used one's and have them keyed to the same key? Cost $15 per lock when I have it done a year ago to mine.

-Lee

Reply to
Lee

Try taking the barrels and the key you want to the VW dealers and ask them to make them up for you. I bought 2 new barrels not long ago and they didn't charge much extra to match them up to the key I had.

Reply to
Homer

That's probably what I'll do. Thanks.

Reply to
Papa

It can be done for less than that. I just priced an ignition cylinder for my 83 Scirocco (same part) for around $C30. Look it up at

I have rekeyed several door locks and find it quite easy, provided you can secure donor cylinders in good condition. Find them on any model up to about 1992 (the last of the Jetta/Golf II cars). The door handles are easy to get off, but you'll need a big screwdriver. Maybe the easiest way is to find a donor car with a key and remove all the cylinders.

Good luck, H2Only

Reply to
H2Only

Thanks everyone.

I found a complete lock set with keys for a 1985-1992 VW Golf. Would this lock set fit my 1988 VW Rabbit Cabriolet Convertible ?

Reply to
Papa

The Rabbit is an A1 and the Golf is an A2 so they're not based on the same body. However, I believe the door handles are shared between A1s and A2s so they should be OK and I suspect the ignition switch also might be shared, but not sure about the trunk/hatch.

Reply to
Matt B.

Thanks, Matt. You and others in this forum are so helpful.

Reply to
Papa

I have a complete set from a '90 Cabriolet. I'm building a mid-engine LT1 powered car (or hope to anyway) & I plan to replace the steering collum with a Fiero unit (as well as all the suspension, guages, dash, & drivetrain). I can do without the door handles & trunk lock as I'll most likely convert to electric. So I have the complete set: ignition, doors, trunk, & glovebox (& keys :-). I'll taske $50 + shipping for it all. ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

I just ordered a set. If it isn't the correct set, I'll get back to you. It should be here in a few days.

Thanks.

Reply to
Papa