Loosey-Goosey Steering

Hi Everyone,

Got my Jetta back from the body shop and took her for a run today to "strectch her legs" and found that at speeds above 60 M.P.H (100 KM), the steering feels really light and somewhat "loose"....any idea what this could be caused from?

Thanks,

Pete

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Toe-out can make it feel squirrely. I adjust my own with a plumb line, a tape measure and a sharpie pen but probably better to have a shop do it.

Reply to
John Rutledge

The front tires are new (getting snows next week) and AFAIK the pressure is correct...there is a slight pull to the right, but I was thinking that this might be something along the lines of a suspension issue...

Regardless, in general do A2s tend to remain fairly stable at high speeds?

Thanks,

Pete

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Well, if it's pulling that is a different issue. Not an expert but if the pressure is the same on each side and the front tires are identical, it could be something is bent or a brake caliper is dragging on one side. Get a good gauge and a bike pump and set the front and rear pressure according to the label in the door jamb. A2's are very stable at high speeds. Some roads can make any car pull to one side due to ruts or high crowns. Probably not a bad idea to have identical tires on all four corners if they aren't already unless you're just going to putt around town in it.

Reply to
John Rutledge

Well, the Jetta is my only car...so it sees alot of everything, in terms of roads....The brakes on the front are new, as are the tires on the front. I was wondering if a ball joint or tie rod could cause the steering problem...

- Pete

Reply to
Pete Cressman

FWIW, mine was stable until last time I got tires. The tires I got though were the same I had before (Dunlop SP8000). Now it feels floatier and wigglier at higher speeds. I'm thinking that I need an alignment.

Reply to
Matt B.

Jim B.

Reply to