Steering wobble

Hi folks,

My 1996 Disco Tdi has developed a wobble at about 100-110 kph (60-65mph) - goes away above that speed. I thought it was wheel balance, and that was checked, and made little difference. It actually feels a bit more violent than when I have had wheel balance problems in the past.

Steering damper was recently replaced which helped a bit (the old one had sheared off at one end!). I'm planning to change all the steering ball joints, as a couple of those feel a bit loose. Any other suggestions as to the cause?

Thanks Graham Carter Harare Zimbabwe (the land of the 250 billion dollar note).

Reply to
Graham Carter

Swivel pin bearings?

Reply to
Dougal

I'd also look at swivel bearings, wheel bearings and swivel pre-load. Too tight, or too loose on the swivel preload can give strange feelings through the steering.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

As said, id check the swivels for play.

Also, might be an idea to check the radius and trail arms for play.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Just curious, what tyres have you got fitted?

Martin

Reply to
Oily

On or around Mon, 2 Jun 2008 08:15:23 -0700 (PDT), Graham Carter enlightened us thusly:

heh. that's be funny if it wasn't so serious.

I see Ee-bah-gum's on a junket to the world food conference spouting utter bollocks. Apparently, it's all a western plot to foster malcontents and ruin his country in an effort to foster an illegal regime-change.

Apparently the average life expectancy of a woman in Zimbabwe is now 34. So said the arjf. I know not if that is correct. However, the comments above are more or less a direct quote.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hi,

Tyres are Bridgestone A/T 694's. Never had any problems with them in the past. I have though about doing a front to back swap to see if it was wheel related, but haven't got round to that yet!

Most of the posts have confirmed what I was thinking - either swivels or bushes in radius arms. As I'm in the UK for a month from friday, I'm going to get a couple of swivel bearing kits and a full set of PolyBushes - it's amazing the bushes have lasted 11 years given the roads we have here in Zimbabwe, so they must be getting a bit tired.

Thanks for all the advice. Graham Carter. Harare Zimbabwe

Reply to
Graham Carter

Hi Austin,

You are right about that age - 34 is average life expectancy.

Inflation rate according to an independent paper is 1,700,000%, yes that is nearly 2 million percent.

Our gardeners wife has just come in from the rural areas to stay, as she can't get food in her area. She is beaten up because she does not have a ZANU-PF card.

And they ask Mugabe to a food summit - what a joke.

All the best. Cheers! Graham Carter Harare

Reply to
Graham Carter

I'd be replacing them with genuine rubber bushes - polybushes tend not to last as well (but are easier to refit).

Reply to
EMB

I was just reading thru one of the old comics (LRO) and it described the fault to a T their diagnosis was swivel preload needed checking and re-shimming .Not had the swivels overhauled by any chance? Derek see also

Derek

On or around Wed, 4 Jun 2008 02:48:09 -0700 (PDT), Graham Carter enlightened us thusly:

I don't know if they asked or he just went. I do find it somewhat amazing that no-one's shot him yet.

The sad thing is that Zimbabwe used to be a major food producer, before they (oh, sorry, a Western plot) buggered it up so comprehensively.

Reply to
Austin Shackles