93 Passat Headlight Problem

The dipped headlights on my 93 Passatt have suddenly stopped working. The main beam works and side lights but not the dipped. Bulbs look fine, I've been told that it may be the relay. Does anyone know which relay is for the headlights? If it's not this, any suggestions?

Thanks

Reply to
Mark

Not sure about the Passat but if it's wired like many other VWs there isn't a relay. You can check the fuses, but VW by then was wiring them with four fuses (left low/dip, right low/dip, left high/main, right high/main). If both your low/dip beams are gone, it's a bit unlikely that both fuses have blown at once. Check them anyway (because they're inexpensive to replace fuses), but I doubt it's it.

If that isn't it, I'd say it's the headlamp switch gone bad. Pry it out of the dash and test it. You'd want to check for continuity between the main power input for the switch and the output terminals for the low beams when you turn the switch on. Sorry I don't know what terminals those are though...maybe someone else knows and can chime in.

Reply to
Matt B.

Thanks for the info Matt, you've saved me a lot of time looking for relays broken wires etc.

I've just had the switch out and took it apart, put it back together again and it's working! Probably should have been the first thing I should have checked :( I was in a bit of a panic though, I need to use the car at night!

Cheers again,

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Cool...glad it worked out. Odd that it worked again but I guess whatever you did caused something to be repositioned and contact was made to turn the lights on properly.

Reply to
Matt B.