MAF/tdi...how to make sure before spending?

I have a 2001 tdi jetta. Seems that the MAF has died from my primitive diagnosis and from reading all the postings. Engine acts as if turbo is "off" above 2krpm. Can still drive the car but merging on the highway is like driving a non-turbo diesel. The CEL also finally came on. I assume that you can't read the codes without VW software.

How do I know for sure before I plunk down the money for a new one? As they are supposed to be $$$ for the tdi version.

Any recommended sources outside the extortionary dealer network?

-Almus

Reply to
Almus Kenter

Jim B.

Reply to
doesthisblockpork?

If you have an old laptop, or even a new laptop, then get yourself the VAG COM software and an interface from

Software and interface will be under $300 (and that is even if you get the top of the line interface). With that, you can view all the same info the dealer can view with thier bloated $13,000 5051 scan tool. If you want to work on you car, then the VAG COM will be as important as a 19mm wrench.

Next, go into the parts department and tell them you have a 2001 Jetta with a 2.0L engine and you want a MAF sensor and hope they have one in stock, they were on back order last week. This sensor plugs right up and cost WAY less than the TDI MAF sensor. You won't be able to tell the differance other than the money you saved.

Reply to
Pencilneck

Disconnect the MAF. If performance improves, it is the MAF. If not seach elsewhere.

Reply to
Ernest

:>Disconnect the MAF. If performance improves, it is the MAF. If not seach :>elsewhere.

Yes I pulled the MAF connector; I agree the improvement is marginal; you could hallucinate whether there is a difference. I don't have the VAG tool. I don't want to take it to the dealer and would prefer to go to a cheaper source for the actual part.

Reply to
Almus Kenter

: :>Disconnect the MAF. If performance improves, it is the MAF. If not seach : :>elsewhere.

: Yes I pulled the MAF connector; I agree the improvement is marginal; : you could hallucinate whether there is a difference. I don't have : the VAG tool. I don't want to take it to the dealer and would : prefer to go to a cheaper source for the actual part.

: --

: almus kenter

Sorry to follow up on own post. Called the dealer. MAF sensor is 405.84...

HOLY SHIT! Do they realize that you are saving on fuel costs and they want a piece??

I also saw a post somewhere that said you need a special torx bit to remove it? I am starting to hate VW.

Reply to
Almus Kenter

WGAS Sell it...

Reply to
Peter Parker

I don't do a lot of VW work, but I replaced one a while ago, the kid of a good customer. I want to say my cost was under $150. I may be wrong, but it was around there. I think it was less. It was genuine, a Bosch unit with the VW logo ground off. The car runs like it should now. A well groomed TDI should do 100 easily. With a bad MAF, they won't go 70.

The dealer should charge a nom>

Reply to
JPF

Go to the Mercedes dealer and get one for a Mercedes CDI diesel - It's a Pierberg unit instead of the Bosch and less than half the cost. The plug requires minor modification to plug it in but otherwise the unit works identical to the original equipment MAF.

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

Erik Dillenkofer wrote: : Go to the Mercedes dealer and get one for a Mercedes CDI diesel - It's a : Pierberg unit instead of the Bosch and less than half the cost. The plug : requires minor modification to plug it in but otherwise the unit works : identical to the original equipment MAF.

Thanks. Found an MB unit on the web. 100.00 including shipping. Supposedly the MB unit is *almost* plug and play. I had to buy the security-torx bit today. If anyone has done this swap and if there are any finer points, please let me know. Thanks.

Hey! I never thought of it in this light; Maybe since the part costs 400+ dollars VW is trying to protect it from theft with those security torx bolts....and there I was cursing them... Geez, now I am feeling guilty about my anti-VW sentiments.

-Almus

Reply to
Almus Kenter

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

modification

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Woodchuck wrote: : Use your ross-tech kit and enter 01 engine, 08 block value ,block 000 and : then look at the last display field. Under boost at about 2900rpm it should : be 255 or very close. If not replace the MAF.

:> How do I know for sure before I plunk down the money for a :> new one? As they are supposed to be $$$ for the tdi version. :>

:> Any recommended sources outside the extortionary dealer network? :>

:>

:> -Almus :>

:>

But I have no ross kit; last I looked the ross kit was 399.?? 499??

Reply to
Almus Kenter

Some VW dealers are said to be requiring VIN numbers before they'll sell you a gasoline MAF. Try

say they have genuine TDI MAF's for under $200. Also, Mercedes/Pierburg

Reply to
John Bevan

Jim B.

Reply to
doesthisblockpork?

jimbehning(doesthisblockpork?)@mindspring.com wrote: : I ordered kit from Ross the other day for $199 US plus shipping.

Thanks... You are right on the price. I too ordered it for 199.00.

I replaced my MAF....NO IMPROVEMENT. Damn; the thing still acts as if the MAF is dead. No pull above ~2krpm. I will await the arrival of the VAG-COM to diagnose. The CEL is on all the time.

-Almus

Reply to
Almus Kenter