2001 Polo 1.4 TDi oil change

As my VW dealer helpfully failed to change the oil in the last service (it wasn't due exactly then, but who wants two main-dealer services in two months?!), I thought I'd save hassle and money by changing the oil myself.

Embarrassingly, I have failed to do so. I expected a drain plug under the engine, but there's this damn plastic undertray hiding everything. I located two bolts that hold it on, at its rear, but could not get access to a bolt in the wheelarch.

I can't believe that it can be so hard to do the single simplest bit of work that one usually does on a car. What am I missing?

I wondered perhaps if the oil needs to be sucked out from above, rather than drained from below. If so, from where (the dipstick hole?) and with what tool (I have an oil suction pump but the tube is too short and too thick if I'm supposed to put it in the dipstick hole).

I secretly suspect that VW make everything as hard as possible on purpose, to boost service revenues. I've serviced several cars and motorbikes and never failed on such a basic task.

Reply to
Peter Chase

You can probably just remove the bottom panel of the 'belly pan' rather than going into the wheel wells to remove it. I believe it is in 3 sections with the main section in the middle. This is based on a US A4 Golf

Reply to
Mike