New Beetle Advice Please...TDI or Gasoline?

We're looking to buy a USED "new" beetle (automatic). I've been doing some research on whether it's worth getting a TDI rather than a gasoline version based on the high mpg of a TDI. We've got teenagers who will be driving it sometimes, so reliability is an issue. I've seen the warnings about timing belt catastrophes and "glow plug" issues and high maintenance costs for a TDI. How will a gasoline version VW Beetle differ from a maintenance frequency and cost perspective? Will a gasoline version be more reliable or does it have an equal number of problems? We're used to driving older cars with niggling little problems, but they're paid for and maintenance is much less than car payments. Thanks for your advice!!!

Reply to
jules