Time for new tires, 74 BB Coupe, advice?

I have a 1974 BB Coupe, all original, 2nd owner and it is time to replace my tires. Vehicle sat for many years and has only been back on the road for a few now. Currently running Radial TA's, I have seen these on many other C3's and they seem to fit well and look good but I would like to know if there are any other options. I am in Canada, Vancouver, so I only drive it a few months out of the year and primarily just to shows and cruises.

Any suggestions re Brand and Size would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jasen

Reply to
J Nyrose

I've always liked BFG TAs but they are not that great of a performance tire as many others. However, most performance tires are not available in a 15 inch diameter in the sizes we need. What I most liked was that they were a fabric belted radial and could sustain higher speeds than most steel radials due to less mass of the belts. However, with speed ratings, you can safely pick a high speed steel belted radial now. And BFG only rates them as 110 mph I think. I've had them MUCH higher and had no problems ever due to speed. I have separated belts in others due to speed, and luckily never had one come apart while driving.

The original size was a GR70-15 but that type of sizing is long gone. The basic equivalent is 225/70R15. To get a more aggressive stance, and more grip, a 60 series tire should be used. The 255/60R15 became an option in

1978, but the '78 had a rear body that was about an inch wider than '74-'77 and the factory trimmed the inner fender on cars receiving the 255/60 tire.

The best size in a 60 series is the 245/60R15, but not everyone makes that size. The 235/60R15 is much more common.

Some 255/60R15s will rub on the emergency brake cable and cut the tire with the steel Rally wheels. The aluminum factory wheels have a slight bit more offset and will clear. The bracket moved about a 1/4 inch in either '78 or '79. Aftermarket wheels need to be checked with tires.

Many tires will rub at the front. Usually they rub on the frame when at full lock on turning. This doesn't affect anything, but some will rub the inner fender or the back of the fender. This can crack fiberglass, so you need to check.

Unfortunately, for a mass-produced car, nearly every one fits the chassis differently and so some will fit while others won't. A BFG TA on a Rally may fit on half of the cars fine and rub on the other half. So you really need to mount a tire and wheel and try them on every corner.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

When I first acquired my 75 coupe, it had 255/60R15 tires on it. They rubbed the front fenders on a tight turn. I was careful about turns until it became time to replace them and then I put on Goodyear RSA 225/70R15. The RSA's are used a lot on police cars because of their performance (but they are somewhat expensive).

Reply to
Bill

On my 1970 BB, I have BFG 255x60R15's all around and they dont rub at all. Very pleased with the grip and quietness. I used to have the BFG Radial T/A's but the T/A's are a harder rubber tire , makes more noise, and makes the ride harsher .

Reply to
dave

just my 2 cents... I just put new tires on my 79, and found that the BFG TA's were not available around here...I Opted for the genereic brand ..the uniroyal tiger paws, ( was assured they were the same patern and wear)..anyways, I have

Reply to
Larry & Michele

I appreciate everyone's replies, my biggest concern is the amount of space between the tire and wheel well, I've seen many cars where the tire doesn't 'fill' the wheel well and it looks horrible. I do like the way the 225/70 fit now, but wonder if going to a 235 or maybe 245/60 would widen the stance and still 'fill' the wheel well?

I have narrowed my two tire choices to either the T/A or the Yokohama Avid S/T, does anyone have any feedback on the Yokohama?

Reply to
J Nyrose

I had the same appearance issues with my Pontiac and low profile tires. Managed to find a /65 profile tire that looked good and chose that one over a better handling /60. Probably hard to find a /65 suitable for the loads and speed rating needed in a BB. I'd suggest mounting one /60 then make the decision on appearance.

Yokohama: -- My C4 is on its second set of AVSs. Put them on the C5 last spring. We run Avid T4s on my wife's car. Quieter than most, good dry cornering & traction, not great when wet. My main issue is that AVSs and the T4s are slow to warm up. Winter mornings need 5-6 miles of driving at 60-65 before they're warm enough to smoothly keep up with traffic. Otherwise--nice tires at a mid-level price.

The Avid S/T ought not have this problem since it's a polyester carcass without a sound-suppression belt.

Reply to
PJ